Broken leaf spring, 1989 GMC

Old 06-20-07, 08:26 PM
Arn
Broken leaf spring, 1989 GMC

I have a 1989 GMC pickup with regular suspension, nothing heavy duty, no towing package. It has 4 leaf springs for rear suspension. On one side the main leaf is okay but the second leaf is broken. I tow a 4,250lb travel trailer & I am kinda concerned about the broken spring. I was told by one mechanic to put a clamp on it so it doesn't fall out, no worries about towing. I was told by another to pull out the broken piece, no worries about towing. I'm thinking, it has four leafs for a reason. I have worries about towing. The truck will do no more than 8 more tows & nothing more than 200 miles. Do I need to worry about the broken spring or should I be more concerned about Brett Favre's health this season? Next tow is the July 1st long weekend (Canayjun, Eh!) so I'd like to put my mind at ease before then. Thanks for your help.

Arn

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 08:55 PM
Considering the limited service ahead, turn your attention to Brett.

If the break is at the center bolt, in which case you have no functional support from that spring, I would replace the spring.

If the break is off center, in which case you have about half or greater support from that leaf, leave it all together, but secure the broken section to avoid having it fall out or turn and get into your tire.

Do not remove the broken section and leave the space, that would over stress the leaves above the broken one. They in turn could break.

A spring usually breaks (aside from a single damaging incident) because it cycles out. In other words it can only flex so many times. Although all the leaves won't break at the same time, having one break is an indication the others are nearing the end of their service.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 06-20-07, 09:08 PM
Arn
The break is off center (not far) & is pointed in to the differential, away from the tire so I don't think there is an issue with it coming out on the tire side. My thinking is to secure it in place. Thanks for the quick reply. Oh ya, GO PACK!!!

Arn

Old 06-21-07, 05:18 AM
On the other hand I replaced both of my leaf springs and did many other upgrades in one weekend. Just replaceing the springs is not that big of a deal if you've got some basic tools and at least 4 jack stands.