Vacuum Hoses - '92 Ranger

Old 07-08-07, 06:45 AM
Vacuum Hoses - '92 Ranger

I had some trouble a number of months ago with a vacuum hose popping off its connector. A mechanic that looked at it eventually put a hose clamp on it to keep it in place. Yesterday, when I started the truck, the engine revved up way high & generally ran rough. Sure enough, I found that another hose had come loose.

Why are the hoses popping off their connections? Does it happen at startup ... backpressure of some sort? What can I do to prevent it from happening?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-07, 10:51 AM
You could have a timing problem or intake valves. If something is forcing the lines off (keep in mind they're vacuum transfers) you would have a pressure to do that. It would take a fair amount to blow a vacuum line off = something like a backfire, etc. Something ongoing would keep the engine from running at all since vacuum is central to an engine doing anything.

I would attach a vacuum gauge and make it visible from the cab. Some you can mount in the cab to monitor engine performance and condition. They aren't very expensive and can tell you a lot.

If at any time during starting the gauge would show the vacuum loss and the sudden pressure.

Sometimes older vacuum lines lose their flexibility and won't grip the connections tightly. You may just have to replace some lines to fix your problem.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 07-08-07, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the help Bob

Old 07-09-07, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
And if there's enough free play in the line you can often get away with simply clipping a half inch or so off the end and reconnecting.