ford ranger squealing belts

Old 07-09-07, 06:08 PM
ford ranger squealing belts

I have had my serpertine belts plus one pully replaced at the same repair shop twice now and i get the same result belt squel.Also I am told that the belts again have to be replaced and maybe the pulley also maybe the belt tensioner. I asked the mechanic after the second episode, which lasted until I pulled out out of the repair bay, if he got everything straight and even. I guess its not wise to question a mechanic's work.We both came to the same conclusion,take my pick up somewhere else.
Now what?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-07, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be another pulley or the belt tensioner.

I would replace the tensioner first.

Old 07-10-07, 08:53 AM
Time to test it.... with the engine running - dribble water on the belt - if the squeal stops - it's the amount of tension on the belt.... It needs to be tightened. If not - it could be the bearings in the tensioner - Be careful - too much water on the belt can lub the bearings also - causing them to stop squealing...

Old 07-11-07, 12:32 PM
i have replaced mant belt tensioners for this problem after time they lose some tention and will cause belt ware and squeel

Old 07-11-07, 03:52 PM
can i use any of the stop squeck, belt dressing sprays?

Old 07-12-07, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
You can try, but don't be surprised if the squeel gets worse. The serpentine on my wrecker has a tendency to squeek at certain combinations of temperature/humidity. I either ignore it or if it really starts to annoy me I take an ArmorAll wipe and carefully apply it to the smooth side of the belt. Usually clears it up for a few days until the temp/humidity combination has made it go away on its own.

You didn't mention the year or mileage, but more than about 50,000 miles and it's probably worth the $ to replace the tensioner as suggested; not just the pulley but the tensioner assembly. Also the idler pulley if it has one, unless that is the pulley already replaced. Could also try a different BRAND of belt; long shot, but you never know.

Old 07-12-07, 06:19 AM
Agree with Tow guy... I've never, ever had success with belt dressings... seems they make the problem worse.... though they claim to eliminate squeals....

Old 07-13-07, 03:23 PM
its a 1999 ford ranger 4x4 with about 45000 miles on it.