2002 Dodge Dakota HVAC blower problem

Old 08-03-07, 05:31 PM
2002 Dodge Dakota HVAC blower problem

The blower will not run on any speed. Fuses are ok. Bolwer runs when I put 12v to it. I checked the 2 prong connector coming to the blower. One terminal lights a test light. The other does not have continuity to ground. I pulled the resister card. With it plugged in all legs have continuity to ground. I am not sure but maybe the fan switch is bad. I cannot see how to get the fan switch out.
Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-07, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to remove the trim around the panel and there should be 4 bolts holding the panel in.

My wifes Dodge Stratus has had two bad panels already.

Old 08-03-07, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
You have to remove the trim around the panel and there should be 4 bolts holding the panel in.

My wifes Dodge Stratus has had two bad panels already.
Are you talking about the entire panel that goes from the dash to the transmission hump? I believe there are a couple of screws at the bottom of this panel. I do not see any screws at the top of this panel or any around the small cover plate over the HVAC switches and the small cover plate does not want to pry out with a screwdriver. I can pull the HVAC knobs off but this did not help.
The resistor card is suspect but is there a way to test it or by pass it to see if it is bad or not?

Old 08-05-07, 08:19 AM
Smile

Problem solved. With the resistor card plugged in to the wiring harness all legs did have continuity to ground. I could not get the plug to come off the resistor card. Looking carefully at the plug one of the wires had the insulation slightly melted and there was a tiny bit of green corrosion on the wire. It appears that one connection was bad and had burned it's self in to. There was no continuity from that wire to the resistor. When I jumpered from the wire to the resistor terminal all fan speeds work fine. Although the resistor card seems to be fine I can't get it off of the connector so I bought a new resistor card and ordered a new plug. Resistor $10 and plug $12.
As a band aid I crammed 2 pieces of .032" stainless steel safety in the bad terminal and all speeds work fine for now. This might keep working until Tuesday when the new plug is supposed to be here.