Carrier RV Air Conditioner Recharge

Old 08-04-07, 09:27 AM
Carrier RV Air Conditioner Recharge

I have an 2004 Outback 28RSS travel trailer that has a Carrier Air conditioning unit. It worked fine last year when I put it away for the winter. When I started up this year it isn't getting cold and it shuts off after a couple of minutes. The fan and thermostat are working fine. I'm guessing that the freon has leaked out.
I do alot of things myself rather than taking them to the dealer, but I have no experience with something like this. What do I need to check the freon level and how do I recharge it myself if it is possible without having any speciel tools?
Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-07, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Wink

Working on sealed systems are regulated and you must have proper certification in order to purchase and use refrigerants.
Also, the equipment required is expensive and not worth purchasing for one time use.

If the problem is a refrigerant leak many units have a five year warranty on the sealed system.
I'd check your paperwork.

Old 08-04-07, 04:24 PM
Greg,
Thanks for the info. I looked at the paper work and I only had a 2 year warranty but I'm going to contact them anyway. I will check with the local dealer and see how much they charge also.

Todd

Old 08-04-07, 06:00 PM
Wink

You also might take a look at the unit and see if its R134 like in a car That freon you can get or buy. Like said check the paper work and they might fix it

Old 08-05-07, 12:22 PM
Well thanks for the info, but I've done a little more debugging. I was able to get the compressor to run for a couple of minutes one time today. During that short time the air started getting cold. The problem seems to be that the compressor does not want stay running. There must be some sort of safety relay that is getting kicked. When it shuts off the whole unit shuts off not just the compressor. The only way I can get it to come back on is to use the reset button of the unit. The remote control will not turn it on. Any ideas to why the compressor would come on for a few seconds and then shut the whole unit down. I know I do not have a low power situation.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 08-05-07, 12:48 PM
Wink

Dont know the unit. But electric can turn it off on a kloxon ohm out the compressor. Could have a high PSI or a low PSI switch in it ???????