Cooling System Question - 93 Ford E350 cutaway

Old 08-21-07, 10:00 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cooling System Question - 93 Ford E350 cutaway

I have a 1993 Ford E-350 with a 7.5L engine. After driving it for about 25 miles the top hose came off on the radiator side. By the time we were able to stop and check it out, the coolant fluid was all over the engine compartment. During previous days the "check engine light would come on at about the same mileage. I'd check the normal things out and could find no obvious problem ....oil, coolant level, transmission fluid, etc were all OK.

Several days later after refilling the radiator and connecting the hose and having driven it about 20 to 25 miles the "check engine light again came on.

Today, a couple of days later, I thought I better check the thermostat to see if it is functioning. I removed the radiator cap and some pressure was released at that time. The top hose from the radiator to the thermostat was compressed (the walls were sucked together). I removed the hose and checked out the thermostat in boiling water and it appears to be functioning normally.

The top hose is the normal black rubber without an internal spring.

Does this sound like just a bad hose problem or should I be looking for something else?

canalcat

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 10:47 AM
A
sorry to say it sounds like a head gasket problem but i would first replace the thermostat and drive to se if it happens again also ni would take it to a shop to have the codes read to see why that light is coming on if you are in the states i beleave Auto zone will red codes for free but i am not positive about it
post results and we will see whats next

Old 08-22-07, 04:08 AM
C
Thanks for the information Doc.

I am a little hesitant to think that it might be a head gasket problem, only because I haven't seen any other signs of that problem. I have no contamination of the oil or coolant and no noticeable power loss.

I will keep you posted

Old 08-22-07, 07:56 AM
M
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
You should replace the radiator cap. It will hold pressure in the system to the tune of about 10 lbs to prevent air entrainment in the water. Air in the coolant lowers its cooling efficiency.

The cooling system cycles liquid to the reservoir and back respective to the heating/cooling of the engine. It sounds like the cap is holding the pressure, but isn't allowing the coolant to return to the engine = low coolant level and collapsed radiator hose.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 08-22-07, 11:24 AM
F
I do not understand this statement and I would like some clarification

Quote--
"I removed the radiator cap and some pressure was released at that time. The top hose from the radiator to the thermostat was compressed (the walls were sucked together)."
End quote

To me it sounds like the top hose was collapsed and when you removed the radiator cap there was a positive pressure and the pressure vented to atmosphere when you opened the cap.

Is this correct?

Old 08-22-07, 03:02 PM
C
Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
To me it sounds like the top hose was collapsed and when you removed the radiator cap there was a positive pressure and the pressure vented to atmosphere when you opened the cap.

Is this correct?

That is correct.

Old 08-22-07, 04:42 PM
S
Look into Bobs idea.... I think he's on to something.

Old 08-22-07, 06:23 PM
C
I have replaced the top hose and the radiator cap, replaced the coolant and let it run at a fast idle for about 35 to 40 minutes while I was doing some chores. At the end of that time no leaks were evident and the check engine light had not come on. After I finished the chores I took it for a 15 mile trip. During the last 1/2 mile the check engine light came on but the dash gage was right in the middle (straight up).

My wife then took it to AutoZone to have the computer check-up but they said that they can only check 1996 vehicle years and above. The trip there and back is about 12 miles. 3 miles into her return home the check engine light went out and remained out for the remaining 3 miles.

The truck is now loaded and ready for a 50 mile round trip in the morning. Hopefully she will get to her destination and back without any problems but just in case I've include a few tools, water and coolant for hired man to use if necessary.

Thanks All for your suggestions. I will let you know the outcome of the round trip.

Old 08-23-07, 08:14 PM
C
Well, she made it with no cooling problems. I think the cap did the trick! However, the "check engine" light came on towards the end of each leg of the trip. I'm beginning to think that it might be related to something else as the temperature gauge remained within the normal range during the entire trip. The top radiator hose and the coolant remained normal.

Thanks again all. Should the problem again flare up, I'll let you know.

Old 08-30-07, 06:37 PM
C
The culprit causing the pressure to build up and the hose to come off, causing loss of coolant, has been found.

After a another episode today of losing coolant and the bottom hose, this time, blowing off, I began suspecting that something might be wrong relating to the over flow coolant receptacle.

I first inspected the rubber tubing hose going from the radiator to the coolant receptacle. I blew into the hose to confirm that it was not plugged. But it was so I used the air compressor and blew air into it.....Nothing.

In order to get the tubing off to unplug it, I had to pull the battery out and remove the coolant receptacle itself. Once the receptacle was entirely in view it was obvious that this was the problem.

Before installing a new radiator two years ago year, I had used radiator stop leak in the old one and also black pepper which works good for stopping leaks. Well, all that gunk had accumulated in the bottom of the receptacle blocking the hole in the receptacle and in tubing itself.

Cleaned everything out and reassembled it.

Now after running the truck until well heated and turning it off I am able to hear the gurgling of the pressure (coolant) releasing back into the receptacle.

It's surprising to me that it took this long for the problem to show up. Also surprising to me was that the radiator cap didn't release, (even with the new one) before blowing the hose off. But I guess the cap release protects the radiator from blowing.

Now I'm just hoping that the "check engine light" will remain off and not keep me wondering!

If anyone ever has similar problems. This is just something else to check for especially if you had used a stop leak product.

Thanks again for your help. You lead me in the right direction.