Smog problem

Old 08-31-07, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Smog problem

I just bought a 1978 southwind motorhome with a 440 dodge engine. I took it in for smog and if failed. The H/C count on the left bank was 2000 ppm and steady, the right bank was 250-500+ and was fluctuating. I replaced the plugs, gap .035, wires, cap and rotor, put a kit in the Carter 4bbl thermo quad carb. It starts and runs good. Returned to smog shop and had it retested. H/C is still 2000 and steady on left bank, and 250-500+ and fluctuating on right bank. What is causing this high reading, any ideas? Thanks, Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-07, 07:59 AM
high hc is unburnt fuel try a catilitic converter also have egr checked
why doyou have to have a 1978 smog tested

Old 09-06-07, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. What could be causing these high and steady HC readings? The smog tech said it acted like a miss. A cat was not required on this truck, I was curious why. The great state of Calif won't issue the tags without a smog, so I'm stuck. Thanks again, Jerry

Old 09-07-07, 08:33 AM
yes a mis would cause high hc also the egr valve remove valve and spray carb cleaned in the inlet hole and see in it is leaking thruogh if so replace it it should helpalso have carb checked that it is not dumping to much fuel and choke is working properly

Old 09-09-07, 12:09 AM
check for vacum leaks at vacum lines and around intake also might check compression on all the cylinders to make sure its ok, a lean fuel mixture can also cause high hc