Help with a new to me Motorhome

Old 09-16-07, 02:10 PM
Post Help with a new to me Motorhome

Hello,

I was wondering if someone out there could be of a little more help. I just recently bought a motor home from a guy in a near by town and the problem is i cannot figure out some of the problems. I am wanting to restore it to factory conditions. the motor home I have is a 1980's model Surveyor, built on a dodge chassis with a 440 engine in it. I bought it for $1500 from the man. he said he bought it brand new back in 1980 straight from a lot in las cruces, nm. The paint is in some bad shape due to his nephew taking sign paint and deciding to paint it all white. when i say all white he painted everything including all but a few specks of the light covers, lol. the engine runs, but not great. as far as i can tell it just needs a little carb work done. but my question is i was wondering if someone could help me find some information about it. i cannot seem to find anything on the internet about it. it doesn't have any books or anything with it discussing wiring, plumbing, ect. i was also wondering what type of paint schemes they originally had. i am new to the idea of restoration on motor homes and all but i thought it would be a good hobby in my spare time when i am home. (over the road driver and dont have anything else to do.) if someone could atleast find out what this thing is other than a "Surveyor" (thats all i know for a fact,) and that its on a dodge chassis (info from the internet). i would greatly appreciate it. i just thought that someone here might know of some clubs or something that specialize in restoration of motorhomes and rv's. thanks alot and i hope to hear from someone soon!

-Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-07, 05:57 PM
Hey Eric,
I googled surveyor and then Dodge Surveyor and found that your motorome is "probably" a '79.
If you go to www.moparmanuals.com they have manuals available.

Hope this helps....or at least going in the right direction

Mark_ms

Old 09-17-07, 06:13 PM
thanks mark_ms, I appreciate it. Was just thinking it was a 1980's model due to the date on the title. I will start looking for info for a 1979 model then. Maybe it was just bought in 80 but built in 79. I accidently ran it out of gas today due to the fuel gauge not working, then put the fuel in aux tank instead of main tank. I just would have thought that the main would be the one closest to the engine, but on this one, its the one(fuel tank) by the side door. i will go and look at the webpage and order some manuals for it. ive been working with it a little today and appreciate your time for looking for me. i might use this more often. especially when i start redoing the insides, but first ive gotta see what i actually have before i start tearing it apart eh? Thanks and be safe!

-Eric

Last edited by new2motorhomes; 09-17-07 at 06:20 PM. Reason: decided to edit to answer 1979 mfg
Old 09-18-07, 08:35 AM
There may not be a manuel for a 1980, but a '78 or '79 could be very helpful as far as wiring and other schematics are concerned..

Mark_ms

PS have fun!!

Old 09-04-09, 07:23 AM
1979 Surveyor Motorhome Manual

09-04-09
Hello,
I recently purchased one of these motor homes and I was scrounging around for more info on it by web searches. It looks like I may have more info on it than most. Mine came with the original owners manual for the engine and the motor home and a bunch of other manuals for the Onan generator, the fridge and other stuff. I'm working on labeling the circuit breaker box as one of my current projects.

I guess if anyone needs some help I can try to scan the manual for you and send it. Let me know...
DAVE
[email protected]