Trailer Light Problem

Old 10-10-07, 08:48 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trailer Light Problem

Have a utility trailer. Trailer Lights have worked great unitl recently. The right tail light does not work. Right Brake light and blinker light work fine. I've changed the bulb with one I know works. All other lights on the trailer and truck work fine. Sounds like a wiring problem in the trailer.

Two wires go into each trailer light housing.

How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks
Robert

Old 10-10-07, 10:00 PM
I
Originally Posted by GAVolunteer View Post
Have a utility trailer. Trailer Lights have worked great unitl recently. The right tail light does not work. Right Brake light and blinker light work fine. I've changed the bulb with one I know works. All other lights on the trailer and truck work fine. Sounds like a wiring problem in the trailer.

Two wires go into each trailer light housing.

How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks
Robert
DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE THE RITE BULB? IT SHOULD HAVE TWO WIRES IN SIDE THE BULB?

A TEST LIGHT WILL HELP!
FIRST MAKE SURE THE CONTACTS IN THE BULB SOCKET ARE HEALTHY AND LOOK LIKE THEY ARE MAKING CONTACT. MAKE SURE THE TRUCK LIGHT IS WORKING FINE, IF THE TRUCK LIGHT IS NOT WORKING NOR WILL THE TRAILER! NEXT BY USING THE TEST LIGHT AT THE PIG TAIL[HARNESS] IT WILL ELIMINATE THAT THE TRUCK IS FEEDING RUNNING LIGHTS OUT TO THE TRAILER. THEN TEST THE PIG TAIL PLUGED IN, FROM THE BACK OF THE HARNESS ON THE RECEIVING [TRAILER SIDE]. THEN TEST THE WIRES THAT GO IN TO THE BULB SOCKET ONE WIRE IS FOR RUNNING LIGHTS, THE OTHER IS FOR BLINKER AND BRAKE. IF ALL THAT WORKS THEN THE BULB HOUSING MIGHT NEED TO BE REPLACED? ALSO CHEACK THE WIRES FROM BEGINNING TO END.

Old 10-11-07, 01:47 PM
H
usually the running lights which the tail lights are part of power off a brown wire. All too often the lights are hooked up with scotch locks. Check and see if you have scotch locks and if so wiggle the brown wire connection. If that checks ok and your test light doesnt show any power on that wire you willl have to start tracing the circut till you find where the break is. If you have brake and tail then your ground connection at the light assy should be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: