89 ford f 150 slave cyl replacement

Old 10-18-07, 06:52 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
89 ford f 150 slave cyl replacement

please tell me this trans does not have to come out on this model. trying to assist a young man who has very limited funds. i realize no good deed goes unpunished, but he really needs the help....

Old 10-19-07, 11:45 AM
M
If memory serves me right, I seem to remember a small cylinder at your clutch fork, similar to a wheel cylinder. Take a look underneath with brake on & someone pushing the clutch pedal, you should see where it all comes together. Probably a line like a brake line running to the slave cylinder. What make's you think it needs replacing? (just curious)

Old 10-19-07, 12:37 PM
A
89 ford

thanks for the help, have not seen truck yet he is towing to my house but he indicates no clutch pedal , however if he gets it rolling the clutch does not slip under power... any thoughts would be most helpful...not a ford guy...thanks again.

Old 10-19-07, 02:52 PM
M
Good possibility he's just low on fluid in the reservoir, but could be a leaking line or cylinder. Think same as a brake wheel cylinder, follow line from slave cylinder to reservoir & observe closely for leaks. Check level in reservoir. You'll probably have to bleed out the air when repairs are done, just the same as a brake cylinder. I'm sure it will all make sense to you once you see how it all comes together. Basically a simple system. Apply pressure to pedal, it pushes fluid to slave cylinder which in turn pushes a rod against the clutch fork assy, which disengages the clutch. Release pedal, all retracts & clutch engages. Check under dash around clutch pedal where it goes through firewall for any fluid leaks also, in case master cylinder type set-up is under there.

Old 10-19-07, 05:22 PM
No.... The trans does not need removal. If I remember correctly there will be a "HORSESHOE" clip holding the slave to the bellhousing. Pop the clip out and slide the slave back. The fun comes trying to bleed it . I usually hold them upside down, with the bleed screw facing up , and wait till it drips before installation.

Old 10-19-07, 05:49 PM
A
89 ford slave repair

thanks for your help mike . i will get a look at his truck tomorrow and if you dont mind i probably will have more questions regarding this truck. again many thanks for your assistance and drive safe.

Old 10-19-07, 05:56 PM
A
89 ford slave repair

hey unclediezel.(love that handle)
thanks for your help an good news .i will get under this truck saturday and if you dont mind i will post an questions regarding its repair... say hello to auntdiezel for me....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: