Diagnosis for automotive air Conditioning

Old 10-29-07, 09:04 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Diagnosis for automotive air Conditioning

OK its a 1981 GMC 454 with a big Ol ac unit ,
#1 the dash controls do not work.
#2 when the motor is running the compressor squeals and shrieks ,and the clutch moves intermittently ,with no cooling
what could it be ,and what do i do about it
any help ?
thanks

Last edited by chef sam; 10-29-07 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add on
Old 10-29-07, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Start by finding a junk yard control unit for starters. Once that is replaced, replace the A/C compressor.

This will cost more then what the vehicle is worth, so it will still be your call.

It's hard to troubleshoot A/C problems via a computer. It requires getting pressure readings from the low and high side of the system among other things.

Old 10-29-07, 04:04 PM
C
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HotinOKC
Start by finding a junk yard control unit for starters. Once that is replaced, replace the A/C compressor.

This will cost more then what the vehicle is worth, so it will still be your call.

It's hard to troubleshoot A/C problems via a computer. It requires getting pressure readings from the low and high side of the system among other things.
Thanks mark
Good advice and your probably right about it costing more than the vehicle is worth
I don’t mind tinkering so long as it doesn’t coast much

Old 10-29-07, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Also, and not to discourage you, but I take it this is the original A/C system with the old R-12 (freon) refrigerant? If so, the only person who can get this refrigerant is someone who is EPA qualified.

They do not make compressors for vehicles that I know of that can still take R-12 so a complete conversion to R34a would most likely be needed, and if installed correctly, would cost more then $1k.

Old 10-29-07, 07:47 PM
C
I didn't think of that , i guess ill just pull the belt and do with out ,its getting cooler now so as long as i have heat ill forget about the ac for now
thanks again mark

Old 11-01-07, 06:20 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Another bright side: Less accessories = more power.

Old 11-02-07, 03:54 AM
B
most of the remanufactured compressors should be compatible with r12 or r134a just add the appropiate type oil to the compressor for wich ever freon you are using.
if you decide to fix it would suggest you stick with r 12 as it will perform alot better than r134a in your vehicle, without other modifications r134a just doesnt work that great in most older vehicles would also suggest changing the accumulator and orfice tube but most any shop that does much a/c work should be able to still get r12 and charge it for you.

Old 11-02-07, 07:06 PM
C
Originally Posted by FordGuy83
Another bright side: Less accessories = more power.
more power, now i like the sound of that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: