1990 Ford 250 A/C Engaging Problem

Old 12-02-07, 11:07 AM
1990 Ford 250 A/C Engaging Problem

My A/C compressor clutch activates and disengages when the heat switch is calling for heat. Anyone had this problem before, and if so where would I probably start looking first for the problem.

Also how much of a problem is it to change the A/C from R19 to 134?. Is the compressor the only item I would have to change out? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most compressors engage when defrost mode is selected to keep the moisture level in he air down so it does not fog up your windshield. Sounds like the control panel maybe the culprit if it is kicking on in all modes.

It can be costly to convert to 134a. It requires the replacement of the compressor, pressure switches, evaporator, orifice tube, etc. A typical conversion will cost around $700+.

If your AC is working alright now, there is no need to convert.

Old 12-04-07, 11:18 PM
ac

do you mean r12? there are kits that you can buy to convert from r12 to r134a. what you do is evacuate the r12, add pag oil into the system, then put the new r134a connector fittings on (they screw on the old r12 fittings) then add r132a,75% of rec. r12 capacity(its something like that, give or take) caution r134a operates at a higher pressure then r12, over charging can blow up system components.
i would suggest that you take your truck into a repair shop and have this done, due to the toxicity of the r12. if your a/c currently works, why go to the trouble. toxic r12 cools better

Old 12-04-07, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by knelleken View Post
do you mean r12? there are kits that you can buy to convert from r12 to r134a. what you do is evacuate the r12, add pag oil into the system, then put the new r134a connector fittings on (they screw on the old r12 fittings) then add r132a,75% of rec. r12 capacity(its something like that, give or take) caution r134a operates at a higher pressure then r12, over charging can blow up system components.
i would suggest that you take your truck into a repair shop and have this done, due to the toxicity of the r12. if your a/c currently works, why go to the trouble. toxic r12 cools better
Appreciate the info from both individuals. Sounds like the conversion kit is the way to go. Thanks again