ceiling stain

Old 12-10-07, 02:40 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool ceiling stain

During a recent rain storm (it does so rain in Arizona!), the automatic fan & vent opened, which allowed water to pour into the living room in our fifth wheel. The fan/vent has been repaired, but now we are faced with a water stain on the ceiling. Any brilliant ideas of how to remove or cover the stain on this fabric ceiling. It is a sort of off white color.
Thanks all,
Linda

Old 12-10-07, 07:12 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I hope someone has a better suggestion, but when my sunroof leaked in my car it left nasty water stains and the only way I could fix it was by removing the headliner and relaying new fabric. Just peeled the fabric off, went to the fabric store and got some new fabric and spray adhesive.

Old 12-11-07, 05:45 PM
H
A weak solution of bleach and water applied with a spray bottle, allowed to sit for a while and gently rinsed with clean water might do the trick. You dont really want to vacume off the fabric. its too easy to pull dirt, more stain, glue, ect down from above. gently rubbing with a hard flat object can help loosen the stain and agitate the mix. I have used the plastic spreaders that painters use for stuff like bondo. of course you will want to pull the garnish off the vent and test in an area coverd by the garnish if possible. let it sit overnite to dry and get a feel for how well you have done before moving to the main area. If nothing else you should be able to "blend" the area of the stain in with the surrounding unstained area if you cant get it all. By going out past where the stain is and "pulling" the stain into unstained area you will fade it into the surrounding area. Your spreader/hard object can do this. Still there but not as noticable.
Of course there is always the carpet cleaning service which may or may not be able to do anyting with it.
Oop almost forgot. you said your fabric is off white.. start with a gentle cleaning good rinse and let it dry completely to see how well it blends in. you could go too far easily. then end up trying to dye it back to match

Old 12-12-07, 06:01 AM
M
Can you give a better description of ceiling fabric? Fake leather, or whatever? May help with solution.

Old 12-12-07, 01:12 PM
H
I was thinking of the fabric that is kinda fuzzy and has lines or rows running through it. This is the stuff alot of mfg's use. The smooth fabric some use is similar in how you clean it but you have a foam backer behind it that can hold lots of dirt. I have seen the fuzzy stuff with foam backer but not too often compared to the stuff that is just glued up to the ceiling. The vinyl usually doesnt stain from leaks, its foam backer does but the vinyl itself usually cleans with soap and water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: