Stuck bolt

Old 01-13-08, 04:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stuck bolt

1990 Chevy Suburban 1500 with a 350. A bolt on my intake manifold has broken off completely flush. Tried drilling it out, drill bit broke off IN the bolt also. Tried using the left hand drill bit, it broke also! Not the original owner of this truck, so I have no clue what someone may have put on this bolt or in the threads when they put it in, but the damn thing is really stuck. Soaked it in PB Blaster. I have heated it and tapped the area with a hammer. Used the Dremel to put a cut across the top and tried an impact screwdriver. NOTHING is working. Anyone have any other suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-08, 06:11 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've heard that screw/bolt extractor kits work the best for these kind of things.

Old 01-13-08, 06:33 PM
M
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
You have a few complications there to deal with. The main one is line drilling a hole down the center (or roughly so) the bolt you need to take out.

I would start with carbide bits - one 1/8 in and one 1/4 in.

You would need to make a temporary jig (out of hardwood would work) to drill a perpendicular hole. You would bolt the base to the head through a couple of the bolt holes you have clear and center a perpendicular 1/8" hole on the center of the bolt. Put a stop on the drill so you won't drill past the end of the bolt.

Drill the 1/8 in pilot hole, then the 1/4 inch hole. You'll be able to take the bolt remains out with an easy out (screw extractor - Irwin makes a very good one). First, though you need to shrink the bolt metal. Tow Guy found a freeze shock penetrating oil that you can use. I saw the same thing at an O'Reilly's Auto parts store. Others would probably have it. A substitute would be an alcohol/dry ice combination. Fill the hole you drilled, wait a few minutes and use the screw extractor on it.

And it may help if you hold your mouth like this while you're doing it.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 01-15-08, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Melitta View Post
1990 Chevy Suburban 1500 with a 350. A bolt on my intake manifold has broken off completely flush. Tried drilling it out, drill bit broke off IN the bolt also. Tried using the left hand drill bit, it broke also! Not the original owner of this truck, so I have no clue what someone may have put on this bolt or in the threads when they put it in, but the damn thing is really stuck. Soaked it in PB Blaster. I have heated it and tapped the area with a hammer. Used the Dremel to put a cut across the top and tried an impact screwdriver. NOTHING is working. Anyone have any other suggestions??
Instead of , have you considered simply replacing the manifold with one from a salvage yard?
Additionally. my daughter found a "household tip" that said to use hydrogen peroxide to loosen rusted threaded connectors. Haven't tried it myself yet, but what the hey?

Last edited by Stale Trooper; 01-15-08 at 07:57 AM. Reason: punctuatiuon
Old 01-21-08, 07:57 PM
M
Yes, Stale Trooper, that is exactly what we ended up doing. After two days of breaking off drill bits and inventing all kinds of new "harmful to your ear words", we went to our local salvage yard and bought one. Thanks to all who replied!

Old 01-22-08, 06:42 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is sort of like asking why someone did not close the barn door, after the horses got out, but I just have to know.

Nothing in the OP said anything about a bad intake manifold, (whether or not it was bad). For all we know it could have been a gasket issue or loose bolts, prompting you to want to work on the bolts. And the impression I get from the OP is that basically the head of the bolt got reefed off, leaving the bolt down in the manifold hole, flush with the manifold.

So why did you have to replace the intake manifold as opposed to unbolting the manifold, then extracting the bolt, then replacing same manifold with a new gasket?

Old 01-23-08, 05:53 AM
M
We had to replace the manifold gasket. Even with the manifold off, there isn't an opening under where the bolt was, so the only access to get the bolt out is from the top, which was broke flush, and now has a drill bit and an Easy Out broke off in it. Couldn't find a drill bit that would drill through the Easy Out. Had to get the truck back on the road as it is Mr. Melitta's way to work, and we had already been trying for almost 2 days to remove the bolt. So that is the reason for buying a salvage yard manifold. Kept the old manifold and bought some cobalt and titanium drill bits and a new extractor set, to see if (with extra time) we could get the bolt out...so far, no. At the same time, once we got the manifold fixed, the transmission is now leaking (wasn't leaking before) and we can't figure out where from. We pulled the transmission and replaced the front seal, checked over the torque converter, no obvious signs of leaking. Checked all lines and hoses. It seems to only leak under pressure, so it makes it hard to pin point the leak because it is being slung all over the place with the motor running. Had two of the bolts from the exhaust break off, no problems extracting them. So, Mr. Melitta is now using the in-laws extra truck to get to work. This weekend is suppose to be nice weather, so hopefully we can not freeze our butts off, while we try and figure out where the leak is coming from.

There is just something freakishly wrong with that manifold bolt.

Old 01-23-08, 01:09 PM
E
So the intake manifold bolt is actually broke off and is still inside your old manifold?, and is not broke off down in the engine part that the manifold bolts to? Is that it?

IF what I'm saying is the case. IF. Shouldn't that bolt just drive on out of there?

And if I am not right on this, then is this an actual 'manifold mounting bolt', or some OTHER type bolt, that is threaded into the intake manifold, that secures something else. An actual intake mounting bolt, at least the way I remember them, are like a hollow tube through it where you slip the bolt through, and then the female threads that accept the manifold bolts are in the engine head (s). If THOSE break off, they should be broke off leaving the stubs in the head, not the manifold. This is what I have been having a hard time figuring.

Last edited by ecman51; 01-23-08 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added more
Old 01-24-08, 05:29 AM
M
[QUOTE=ecman51`;1300964]So the intake manifold bolt is actually broke off and is still inside your old manifold?, and is not broke off down in the engine part that the manifold bolts to? Is that it?

IF what I'm saying is the case. IF. Shouldn't that bolt just drive on out of there?

Yes, the bolt is still stuck in the manifold. Maybe this would help. It is a bolt in the manifold that you have to take out to replace the thermostat, since it is solid underneath that bolt, when it broke and we couldn't drill it out, we were stuck. I should have been more clear, sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-24-08, 02:55 PM
E
Thanks. That clears things up.

Very disgusting to break off hardened steel in something and then try to get THAT out.