Horse Trailer

Old 01-14-08, 06:52 PM
Horse Trailer

Hi Everybody!

I'm trying to find as much information on this as possible, so whatever help/info/tips ya'll could throw my way would be great. I've got a 1984 steel 2 horse bumper pull trailer with a ramp load. The hinges/welds holding the ramp door on are shot and since the ramp is extremely heavy, I just want to pull it off and convert the trailer into a step-up. I'm not sure at all about if this is possible or how easy it would be. I've also toyed with the idea of just re-doing the hinges and then attaching continuous coil ramp assist springs on each side.

any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Your biggest problem in either option will be two things: (1) the condition of the underlying frame structure in the area of the hinges - this area on horse trailers is frequently prone to excessive corrosion for the obvious reason, and (2) the horse's willingness to adjust from ramp to step-up loading; in some cases this could take some serious retraining, but would eventually be accomplished.

So first off, a real close inspection to see if or how much of the hinge area has rusted away; you may need to have some structural material replaced.

When we had horses ours was a step-up; I was never really nuts about ramp loaders.