trouble draining brake fluid

Old 02-26-08, 07:05 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trouble draining brake fluid

1992 Ford F-250
I was trying to drain fluid from brake master cylinder with a cooking baster, but could only drain about half because there is a plastic cylinder that slides up and down in the master cylinder fill neck, and I can't get it to come out so I can suck all the fluid out and replace it with new fluid. Never came across a set up like this before, what's the secret to changing fluid in this truck? Your help is appreciated, Jerbear

Old 02-26-08, 07:53 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are you planning to replace the fluid from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders?

Changing the master only will not do a whole lot of good as the old fluid will mix with the new.

I think it would be better to do a bleed at each wheel until you get clean fluid from each bleeder valve.

Old 02-27-08, 04:14 AM
M
use bleeder plugs

The really best way is to use the bleeder screws on the wheels that way you will get it all.
Just changing the fluid in the reasavoir is pretty useless as the system has no pump to recirculate fluid.
You will have clean fluid on top and crud in the lines as fluid movment is almost zip.

Old 02-27-08, 08:10 PM
N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have ABS, do NOT allow the master cylinder to suck in air or you'll be paying a shop to bleed the ABS unit. Draining brake fluid isn't like dumping oil, you should read your manual and see which sequence to follow to bleed the brakes, and bleed each wheel one at a time while maintaining a full master cylinder and until the fluid is running clear in all 4 lines.

Old 03-10-08, 11:25 PM
J
Trouble draining brake fluid

Thank you one and all for answering. I was hoping to refill the brake cylinder with new fluid, then flush each wheel cylinder. I figured it would be faster if I had new fluid in master cylinder to start with. I still don't understand what the plastic cylinder in master cylinder does, can someone expand on this, just to satisfy my quest for knowledge? Thank you for taking the time to help me, it is appreciated. Jerbear...

Old 03-11-08, 08:25 AM
N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what it does, but I believe our 93 Explorer has the same deal. All other cars I recall working on didn't.

Old 03-11-08, 02:05 PM
F
There is a float with a magnet inside in the brake fluid reservoir. That's what getting in your way when trying to baste the turkey. They use it to trip a magnetic switch to indicate low brake fluid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: