Fixin my Van-Home

Old 03-13-08, 12:08 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixin my Van-Home

I've been living in my van since January 1st. It's a 2004 Chevy Express 1500 Cargo Van. I currently have the luxury of a barn in which I can park and work on the van, so I want to make good use of my time and money.

I'm afraid my eyes are too big for my stomach but this is what I'd like to do:

Insulate it (probably using reflectix)

Frame it and line it with something wood (I'm eyeing aromatic cedar closet-lining but its a bit expensive. I have to also keep an eye on the weight).

I also need a small closet and a bed platform over the wheels.

One of my biggest concerns is how to deal with the doors - both the back doors and the passenger-side side doors.

Im also thinking if I put the closet behind the passenger seat, I might be able to create a fold-out piece that could be extended across the van to provide privacy from the front of the van.

I don't have plans at this time to have a bathroom or plumbing in the van, nor do I plan to have a generator. I'm basically treating the world as my house and the van as my bedroom.

I'm new at this, so I look forward to others' suggestions.

Old 03-13-08, 04:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First thing I'd do is stop at an RV dealer who sells custom vans etc, and pick up some ideas on what I'd like to put in mine. Then decide from there, my layout for what i want in mine. I'd also give a call to a local spray foam insulation contractor, and see if it was possible for me to visit the next site that they are set-up at, and get my van done, and how much. The reason I'm saying to meet him at a site he's working at, is because his set-up & warm-up to do the job for you, is already done for the current job, so it should be cheaper, especially if your paying cash. Just the difference in sound alone (road noise etc) would amaze you. Underside would be good too, but you really have to watch what your covering, (away from exhaust etc. and any moving parts) and keep in mind mechanics won't be impressed when/ if they need to scrape it away to get at a brake line or something like that. Perhaps it would be alot easier & safer to use insulated matting on the inside as underpad for your floor. Just some ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: