bleeding brakes on a F250

Old 03-23-08, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bleeding brakes on a F250

I replaced brake pads,calipers, and rotors on the rear of my F250 2005 ford. I bled both sides but can not get a good solid pedal. I can pump the pedal and get enough pressure to stop but it wont hold a good solid pedal and goes to the floor while I hold pressure on it. I have no leaks and everything was working well before I started, other than the calipers hanging up. Any suggestions?

donshiltonblue

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 05:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you need to bleed them some more, you are closing the bleeder fast enough so air isn't getting back into the system, right?

Old 03-24-08, 05:37 AM
Try this. Make sure reservoir is full & lid off. Crack open all 4 bleeder screws, and while you watch them, Not pumping the brake, close them off, one at a time when they show a good steady drip/flow. Whichever drips fastest or most, do it first & on down the line, until all 4 wheels are done. Be sure to monitor fluid level closely while doing it & make sure level doesn't get too low. Make sure you have enough fresh fluid to do it. (an extra quart, or litre) If one or 2 seem to have a slow flow, wait it out a bit and let it drip some more. When all done, and bleeder screws snugged back up, reservoir full, cap on, pump brakes and see what happens. May get a little spongy feeling at first but should go away soon. Try it & see If it's cured, great, if not, I'd be looking at master cylinder replacement.

Old 03-24-08, 05:29 PM
Question

[QUOTE=donshiltonblue;1336146]I replaced brake pads,calipers, and rotors on the rear of my F250 2005 ford. I bled both sides but can not get a good solid pedal. I can pump the pedal and get enough pressure to stop but it wont hold a good solid pedal and goes to the floor while I hold pressure on it. I have no leaks and everything was working well before I started, other than the calipers hanging up. Any suggestions?

if you are loosing pedal with constant pressure, you either have a leak or the fluid is by-passing the M/C piston. air in the system will feel spongy, bu won't let the pedal go down. i think more bleeding of the brakes is in order.

Old 03-24-08, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mike.B View Post
Try this. Make sure reservoir is full & lid off. Crack open all 4 bleeder screws, and while you watch them, Not pumping the brake, close them off, one at a time when they show a good steady drip/flow. Whichever drips fastest or most, do it first & on down the line, until all 4 wheels are done. Be sure to monitor fluid level closely while doing it & make sure level doesn't get too low. Make sure you have enough fresh fluid to do it. (an extra quart, or litre) If one or 2 seem to have a slow flow, wait it out a bit and let it drip some more. When all done, and bleeder screws snugged back up, reservoir full, cap on, pump brakes and see what happens. May get a little spongy feeling at first but should go away soon. Try it & see If it's cured, great, if not, I'd be looking at master cylinder replacement.
Thanks for the help Mike.

donshiltonblue

Old 03-24-08, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you need to bleed them some more, you are closing the bleeder fast enough so air isn't getting back into the system, right?
Right..Thanks for all your help Marksr

donshiltonblue

Old 05-12-10, 08:37 PM
rear calipers are on wrong side.

I think I have the answer to your problem. You said you replaced the rear calipers, there is a left and right. If you put them on backwards the bleed will be on the bottom which traps air in the caliper. Look and make sure the bleed is at the top, just switch the calipers to do this. I done this and had no pedal no matter how long I bled them. After switching them the bled in five minutes by myself with a tube and jar setup I read about on youtube. They work great now.

Old 05-20-10, 11:28 PM
Also I would try to gravity bleed the brakes, I have done this on a few cars and trucks and it work well. All you need to do is just crack all the bleeders and let it sit for about an hour. One of my buddies dads informed me of this and made my life much easier.