2001 sierra rear end major clunking

Old 03-26-08, 08:05 AM
2001 sierra rear end major clunking

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with this problem. I noticed a small clunk this morning and thought maybe it was a rock I ran over or something else. now when I accelerate from a dead stop, it really is bad. shortly after the first clunk, I heard and felt a double clunk, so I babied it home. In the driveway I gave it the gas and got the major clunking(like a tooth was broke off the ring or pinion) I am supposed to leave out of town in a week. Thanks for your help! Jerry.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-08, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Could be a u-joint gone, too. Easy to check; park on level ground so there is no "load" on the drive train and grab the drive shaft near each of the u-joints and see if there is a bunch of play.

Old 03-26-08, 08:53 PM
Just thought I'd check back and let ya know it was my spider gears in the rear end. called around and got prices from 1800.-2500. Thought I'd better take a look myself and pulled the cover and the left side was all chewed up.amazingly the ring and pinion were great. must be tougher steel. found the gears at the chevy dealer, complete set.243.00for the parts and 89.00 for the gasket and three quarts of fluid.$332.00 TOTAL!!!!!Not bad huh??? Just so ya know, my truck has 190,000 miles.Just got done replacing the ball jionts a week ago because they were getting loose. peace of cake.

Old 03-27-08, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
And now you've got an extra 2 grand in pocket to buy that big screen screen TV!

Old 03-29-08, 08:37 AM
Well the new gears are great. I stress tested them with my enclosed trailer loaded to the max for a commercial building repair yesterday. Job went well(one day job). Went to leave and after putting it in gear it sputtered and died. Kept doing it, so I called my local mechanic which was a block away , told him the symptoms and told him I thought it was the fuel pump, He said it may be something easier than that, possibly electrical. He also informed me that they are very busy and two weeks out. He came over a half hour later and beat on the bottom off the gas tank while I cranked it over and it fired up. He gotup and said" it's the pump, and its a 650. job." I replaced the fuel pump in my brothers trunk about three months ago.(same pump in the tank design) 250. for parts.Fortunatly his tank was empty!!!! Mine was full. I'll let my mechanic handle this one.