1985 Ford Ranger maintance

Old 03-29-08, 11:37 PM
Red face 1985 Ford Ranger maintance

Does anyone have any idea what else I might do to get my Ford to run better then what it is.I have changed the spark plugs and plug wires ,changed the fuel filter.Cap the plugs at 42 according to specs.When comeing up a hill have to downshift into second.It has been a good truck.I am not well funded at this time.So just trying to it myself.The the smartest when it comes to some of these things.You don't see to many women out there getting there hands dirty,but I really enjoy it.Thanks to any good advice

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 10:30 AM
Dont feel too bad. I have to downshift my '88 going up hills as well, eventho my truck is running pretty good too. Ive got a V6, manual, EFI and downshifting just seems to be natural to keep the revs up.
Check for vacuum leaks near or around the plenum and/or throttle body.
Throw in a can of Carb/injector cleaner on your next fill-up.

Old 03-30-08, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Distirbutor cap & rotor. Not sure on an '85 if ignition timing can be checked/set or not. If it's fuel injected, a new O2 sensor might be a good insvestment. If it's carbureted and you're adventurous, a good cleaning and rebuild of the carb. Wouldn't hurt to have a compression test done to see how the rings & valves are.

Old 03-30-08, 11:16 AM
Smile 1985 Ford Ranger

Thank you so much for your advice.I did put some fuel injector cleaner in and I did notice a small improvement.So now with my next step,thanks to the smart men out there.My father helped me learn alot about taking care of myself and be independent.So I knew to learn as much about being some what of a greasy tomboy never to depend on a man to do it for me.But not as young as I used to be.So any help is very appreciated.Thank you gain gentlemen.

Old 03-30-08, 07:04 PM
One can only do what one can do. Other than that, if I cant do it myself and find Im at a loss, I bring it to my mechanic.
Sometimes your have bit the bullet and pay a 'professional'....
But...at least you'll have a better understanding of what's involved...!!
Good Luck..and let us know how it turns out...!