97 E350 is possessed

Old 04-08-08, 08:12 AM
97 E350 is possessed

While driving this mini m.h. the steering wheel will move to the right and left by itself. As if someone was sitting in the right seat and had a hand on the wheel. Low speed or any speed, doesn't matter. All the things you would first think about have been addressed. New steering box, tires, rear brakes, shocks, steering dampener, alignment, balance, etc.
Any suggestions as to what I am missing? It really drives BAD.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-08, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some kind of cavitation in the power steering unit where it engages and disengages, and every time it engages it moves the wheel some?

Old 04-08-08, 06:37 PM
cavitation is just a fancy name for air in a closed hydraulic system...can't see where that would cause random steering assist.

how about telling us what year, make and model...chassis type and engine size. what type of hydraulic assist does it have (if you know) and does it have hydro boost brakes?

Old 04-09-08, 05:32 AM
Ford Super Duty is possessed

This is a '98 Ford Super Duty Mini Motorhome. V-10 gas and it does have hydra boost.
Drives as if it has a computer that is sending mixed signals thru the power steering system. Drive down the road, hold the wheel straight and you can feel the slight tug back and forth, back and forth.
Could the hydra boost be sending mixed signals thru the p.s. system?
This is a strange one.

Old 04-09-08, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by carguyinva View Post
cavitation is just a fancy name for air in a closed hydraulic system...can't see where that would cause random steering assist.
My thought was along a theoretical line that maybe a condition at least mimmicking being on the edge of having enough power streering fluid in the reservoir and NOT quite having enough. That it could 'pick up' fluid one split second, and not the next. That it goes in and out of power assist, being on the cusp. Or a condition mimmicking it. Nothing had been brought up about the power steering.

Old 04-09-08, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Some kind of cavitation in the power steering unit where it engages and disengages, and every time it engages it moves the wheel some?
my apologies...i guess i misunderstood what you meant by engages and disengages.

Old 04-09-08, 09:18 PM
just a thought, are any of the tanks(holding or water) full or partilly full when it is displaying these symptoms. since so many things have been replaced I would be looking for frame cracks or loose rivets, loose suspension parts. or missing baffels it the tanks. Also when the tires were replaced did you install the same brand and style tires?
speedwrench

Old 04-21-08, 05:06 PM
It sounds like there is no tow in or out, I have always equated this condition as driving on a razor blade edge, one little move and it goes all the way.

Old 04-21-08, 08:59 PM
well, i am not as much enlightened as the rest of the posters, so i have a dumb simple one for you. most likely, you have g'ol paralellogram steering configuration. so, your pitman or idler are worn out. or both.
and how i know this? cuz my silverado used to have similar symptoms, just maybe not as bad. replaced idler, installed steering shock - bingo!!
jackstand your front end so that both tires are up in the air. get under and have someone jiggle steering back and forth. you'll either hear clunck relevant to direction of jiggle change or even see delay in movement between trailing rod and idler/pitman. idler is easy to replace, pitman - good luck.
of course, you might have rack and pinion, then yeah, it's cavitation along with tangentially directed hydrostatic pressure at psy angle when alpha coefficient escalates to quazy stage. something like that.
you replaced steering gear, right? i think you do have g'ol paralellogram steering. keep in mind, bent trailing rod also happens.

Old 04-22-08, 04:21 AM
Does this thing have independent suspension or straight axle?

Old 04-23-08, 04:28 PM
have a 94 ford 1/2 ton van (Chateau). For the first two years we complained about the fact that it travelled back and forth- the tendancy was to pull to the right, but it would overcorrect and start off to the left. Always had keep a firm hand on the wheel and keep correcting left and right- such a pain.....for 2 years we changed tires, had a bajillion alignments, steering unit, all kinds of stuff. Finally, they had someone out from the mfg: they lifted the van and loosened and rebolted everything on the frame (chassis? been a long time) Anyway, straight and true from then on, with only minor alignment issues. Just an idea...