Truck Charging Trailer Battery

Old 04-20-08, 11:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Truck Charging Trailer Battery

I have a Bri Mar dump trailer that has two ring connectors in the pump box. The one is yellow and looks like it goes to and inline fuse and the other is black. I am assuming that I hook up the yellow to the hot of the battery and the black to the ground? I am trying to have the truck charge the battery as it is driven. The 2 trucks that pull the trailer are a 96 Dodge Ram and 05 Ford F250. Thanks for your replies

Old 04-20-08, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the black wire is bolted to the frame somewhere, that's probably a good assumption.

However, you will need to install a battery isolator in both trucks in order to charge the truck battery separately from the trailer battery. Make sure the wiring connections for both are identical. You will likely need a 7 pin RV style harness in order to have enough connections.

Old 04-22-08, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cookman
I have a Bri Mar dump trailer that has two ring connectors in the pump box. The one is yellow and looks like it goes to and inline fuse and the other is black. I am assuming that I hook up the yellow to the hot of the battery and the black to the ground? I am trying to have the truck charge the battery as it is driven. The 2 trucks that pull the trailer are a 96 Dodge Ram and 05 Ford F250. Thanks for your replies
you shouldn't need to worry about which wire goes where, your 7 pin trailer connector takes care of that, also no isolator needed if your Ford is like Chevy all you need to do is go to your truck's fuse box under the hood and find the one ( usually a big fuse or relay ) that is meant for the batt feed, when new these trucks ( at least my chevys ) come with just a fake fuse there just to cover the plug, the real fuse is provided with your trailer wiring harness that also comes with the truck when you bought it , look for it under or behind the seat, install it and voila thats it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: