1988 F150 fuel problem

Old 04-21-08, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1988 F150 fuel problem

1988 F150, 6cyl, 4 WD, dual fuel tanks cranks but will not start. Suspect high pressure fuel pump (unlikely both lo pressure tank pumps would quit at same time), filter or relay. Two days ago it required a jump and actually started and ran for 5 minutes. Now I suspect tanks might be empty or the filter needs replacing. Am I on the right track or am I overlooking something. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 08:39 AM
Two days ago it required a jump and actually started and ran for 5 minutes.
Just a long shot here...But it is very possible during jumpstarting.....

About 6 inches from the negative BATTERY TERMINAL will be a small black "Barrel Connector" ,...It looks sort of like a fuse holder....Ensure It hasnt come apart or loossened up. This will "Disable" the ground to the EEC system, and the truck wont start. Sometimes it may lack Spark AND fuel.

Is the truck equipped with a Check engine Light? Make sure it lights up when you turn the key on. If not , The EEC relay may be to blame. It is mounted with the fuel pump relay ,on a bracket, on the right side fender. The bracket can break, and the assembly falls into the wheel well....Upside down" and collects water, and eventually rots away.

Old 04-25-08, 01:13 PM
Angry 1988 F150 Fuel Prob.

I Have Been Working On My F150 All Day Today Taking Off The Front Tank To Replace The Pump. I Am Haveing The Same Problem That You Are. The Pump In The Rear Tank Apparently Just Went Bad. When Truck Is Running Switched To Rear Tank The Pump Will Sometimes Run For 15 Min Or So Then Shut Off And Truck Will Evetually Die. These Pumps Have Been Known To Run One Day And Not The Next. So I Think Your On The Right Track Buy A Repair Man. This Will Tell You How To Run A Couple Of Simple Tests To Test Your Pumps Your Local Parts Store Should Have One. Good Luck Your Gonna Need It @#@#$%&mit

Old 04-28-08, 03:15 PM
Cool 1988 Ford F150 Fuel problem

Update: Last Saturday I put 2gals gas in the front tank. Jumped truck and she started and ran for 5 mins and quit. Then installed new fuel filter (the hi pressure pump seems good because I got a face full of gas as I forgot to relieve the pressure). Jumped truck again, finally started and ran for 20 mins or so. Let it sit for couple hours, started it and she ran ok. Think MAYBE I got it fixed. Believe it was either a bad filter or possibly the battery was low & might have to buy new one. Of course, I guess the Alt could also be on its last leg. As soon as I can get it to gas station to put 5-10 gals in it we shall see. Additionally, the front gas guage reads empty/rear tank reads full - think the rear sending unit is shot or the switch/guage is bad. Will check them once I know the thing starts ok and runs good. Any more advise much appreciated.

Old 06-07-12, 12:26 PM
High Pressure Pump

I have no gas at my fuel filter. Is the cylinder between the tanks and fuel filter the high pressure pump. If so what do the fuel pumps do?

Old 06-07-12, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Welcome to the forums Bryn! What kind of vehicle do you have?
A fuel pump's job is to pump the fuel to engine - carb, throttle body or injectors. Most modern day fuel pumps are in the tank.

Old 06-08-12, 06:51 AM
A 1988 Ford F150. In reading some other threads it looked like I should check for humming from the High Pressure pump that is between the tanks and the fuel filter. If I don't hear noise I should replace the fuel relay. If I don't hear noise after that it should be the in tank pump.

Old 12-26-12, 08:31 AM
neild, I am having this exact same problem, even the guages, did you ever figure this out?

Old 12-26-12, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Neld has not been back since April 2008, so you may want to request help from others by starting a new thread.