voltage regulator for RV convertor

Old 04-27-08, 10:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
voltage regulator for RV convertor

I have a older (1988) motorhome and the converter/charger is unregulated to charge the auxillary batteries. Can anyone tell me if a 70's style Chrysler voltage regulator (2 terminal) will work if I connect it inline from the charging wire to the battery? I would appreciate any help I can get about this.

Old 04-28-08, 12:58 AM
B
not sure what type of charger you have is it one that you just plug in to charge the batterys or is it an alternater?
the old chrysler voltage regulators was used to turn on and off the field circuit in the alternater based on battery voltage they were never hooked directly inline to the output of the alternater and probably cant handle that much amperage.
if you can give more detail about your charger and how its hooked up or what problems you are having with it then you may get more replies.

Old 04-28-08, 06:22 PM
R
Thank for your reply Bejay, I'm talking about the converter that came with my motorhome. I'm not sure of the brand name. (Its Hard to get to right now). Being a 1988, Its unregulated. Don't ask me why. The charging wires from it are under the hood. It already burned out my 3 year old auxillary battery because it is constantly charging. I'm living full time in a campground and would like to regulate the charge.

Old 04-28-08, 07:23 PM
still should have been regulated. it would probably be cheeper to install a new charger.

Old 04-30-08, 08:41 AM
R
Yes Speedwrench, I know it should have been regulated. The older motorhomes didn't have a regulator. A new converter for a motorhome is expensive but the Chrysler voltage regulator is $15. I Figured that someone here might know if I could connect it inline to my battery.

Old 04-30-08, 07:53 PM
I would probably just buy an inexpensive battery charger and hook it up. when you say you are living full time in a campground does that mean you never drive the vehicle?
did it come with a battery isolator? if you drive it daily you probably could just install a battery isolator and charge from your alt. if you don't try to run accesories with the charger a 10-15 amp charger should keep you up a going.
Murphy was an optimist

Old 05-01-08, 01:33 AM
R
The only times I've driven my motorhome in the last 4 years was to evacuate hurricanes Ivan, Denny, and Katrina. Its a 30 ft class A and at 7 miles to the gallon I probably won't be out cruising too much. I have an isolator and a Schumacher battery charger. I was just thinking maybe I could maintain the batteries without having to remember about charging them periodically. I guess thats what I get for thinking again. Thanks for your reply. Speedwrench

Old 05-01-08, 05:42 PM
M
If your doing all that sitting, why not mount a solar panel on the roof & let it charge them. You can probably get what you need to maintain the batteries for around $50 or less, and hook-up is simple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: