Painting the stripe on an RV camper?

Old 04-30-08, 06:55 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting the stripe on an RV camper?

I have a 1999 terry lite camper and there are stripes on the sides..They have faded and I would like to re-paint them..The colors are purple and blue..Anyone done this before I am pretty good at painting..Im not sure of the prep and what kind of paint to use and should i use a banana roller to get a smooth looking finish..I would also like to take off my screen door and spray paint it alumium..I would appreciate any Help! Thanks

Old 04-30-08, 10:58 PM
J
Is it alum. or steel sheeting?
A travel trailer supply co. is probably your best bet.
They may be able to supply your color & more advice.
Lightly sand down area--use masking tape & newspapers to
protect other areas.You have a spray gun. use it or spray cans. Spray prime coat--let dry-light sand w/ 400 paper--
spray two light finished coats of paint. Let it sit about 30 minutes & remove tape & newspaper.
Have fun..........................
Pick up alum. paint for your door while you are at trailer supply co.

Old 05-01-08, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A roller may work [dependent on type of paint used] but spraying will look nicer.

What's on the screen door now? If it is currently unpainted aluminum you may be better off cleaning it instead of painting. You may have trouble cleaning fingerprints off of aluminum paint.

Old 05-01-08, 05:32 PM
M
Are you sure they are painted on, and not just decals?

Old 05-02-08, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It doesn't really matter if they are decals - they can still be painted.

Old 05-02-08, 05:23 AM
P
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
Is it alum. or steel sheeting?
A travel trailer supply co. is probably your best bet.
They may be able to supply your color & more advice.
Lightly sand down area--use masking tape & newspapers to
protect other areas.You have a spray gun. use it or spray cans. Spray prime coat--let dry-light sand w/ 400 paper--
spray two light finished coats of paint. Let it sit about 30 minutes & remove tape & newspaper.
Have fun..........................
Pick up alum. paint for your door while you are at trailer supply co.
It is alum. I think ..it is a 1999 terry I called the travel trailer and they said dont do it have a professional do it..$$$ it just the stripes..and as far as the colors they are pretty standard..If you think I should use their paint I will..thanks

Old 05-02-08, 05:27 AM
P
Originally Posted by Mike.B View Post
Are you sure they are painted on, and not just decals?
I have checked they are not decals..

Old 05-02-08, 05:30 AM
P
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums!

A roller may work [dependent on type of paint used] but spraying will look nicer.

What's on the screen door now? If it is currently unpainted aluminum you may be better off cleaning it instead of painting. You may have trouble cleaning fingerprints off of aluminum paint.
What is the best paint to use? I'm not sure what is on the door now..Its not broken or anything it just look old so it is probably unpainted aluminum and I want to make it look nice..What can I clean it with? Thanks

Old 05-02-08, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You have several choices. The cheapest would be to roll or brush on latex or oil base paint....... but it may not look professional. Spraying would give the best look. Whatever method you use, be sure to clean the surface well prior to painting.

The manufacture or trailer sales was either trying to drum up business or was afraid that if you did a bum job it would reflect poorly on their product.

Old 05-02-08, 07:25 AM
J
Originally Posted by patsfan55 View Post
I have a 1999 terry lite camper and there are stripes on the sides..They have faded and I would like to re-paint them..The colors are purple and blue..Anyone done this before I am pretty good at painting..Im not sure of the prep and what kind of paint to use and should i use a banana roller to get a smooth looking finish..I would also like to take off my screen door and spray paint it alumium..I would appreciate any Help! Thanks
I just have to ask: have you tried to use a light rubbing compound like white lightning followed by a high quality
auto polish on your stripes?
Also, if your alum. door is not badly pitted & your arm is
in good shape -- you can use alum. polish & make your door shine-but- you will have to do this every year to keep your door looking good..................

Old 05-02-08, 01:00 PM
P
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
I just have to ask: have you tried to use a light rubbing compound like white lightning followed by a high quality
auto polish on your stripes?
Also, if your alum. door is not badly pitted & your arm is
in good shape -- you can use alum. polish & make your door shine-but- you will have to do this every year to keep your door looking good..................
I will give the white lightning a polish a try. If that doesnt work. Im going to try painting. I am going for it! I think spray will look the best.. Im thinking outdoor krylon (satin finish)paint Keep your fingers crossed..Thanks

Old 05-02-08, 03:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the polish doesn't work, be sure to remove it all before applying any paint!

Old 05-02-08, 05:41 PM
M
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
It doesn't really matter if they are decals - they can still be painted.
I am aware of that Marksr, but quite often if they are decals, you'll paint over them, and as the decal dries out & shrinks from the sun, they crack, then peel, which I'm sure you & we've all seen over the years, which will cause your new paint job to do the same. If there was a decal that could be removed, before paint, you would simply mask around old, peel old one off, and there is your pattern for your new, and it would stay in good shape a lot longer. I'd also be inclined to use a paint with a little flex agent in it, to resist cracking when walls flex. The other reason I asked that question was because it was not uncommom for us to have old stock decal packages, that we would sell cheap, just to get them out of stock, that we were saving in case of a trade in that needed them, or a customer ordered them & never picked them up etc.

Old 05-03-08, 06:35 PM
P
Originally Posted by Mike.B View Post
I am aware of that Marksr, but quite often if they are decals, you'll paint over them, and as the decal dries out & shrinks from the sun, they crack, then peel, which I'm sure you & we've all seen over the years, which will cause your new paint job to do the same. If there was a decal that could be removed, before paint, you would simply mask around old, peel old one off, and there is your pattern for your new, and it would stay in good shape a lot longer. I'd also be inclined to use a paint with a little flex agent in it, to resist cracking when walls flex. The other reason I asked that question was because it was not uncommom for us to have old stock decal packages, that we would sell cheap, just to get them out of stock, that we were saving in case of a trade in that needed them, or a customer ordered them & never picked them up etc.
What brand of paint has Flex agent in it? Thank you

Old 05-03-08, 06:45 PM
J
Originally Posted by patsfan55 View Post
What brand of paint has Flex agent in it? Thank you
Flex is added to paint that you mix yourself--it is not necessary for the small area you are doing. I spray painted
my whole 23' travel trailer w/o any flex--never had a problem.
It works great on car bumpers................

Old 05-15-10, 11:49 AM
E
Good info! But further questions

I am in the process of painting our vintage 1976 Dodge Sportsman Fireball 22' MH. Any ideas of hints for me?

I have tried to take off the icky decal & pin stripping on the coach part (we did NOT put that on) and having trouble getting it all off. Since the body has dings and dents, being a 1976 vintage, I'm removing the pin stripping and decal as best I can, sanding it down, and rattle can spraying it with Rustoleum primer.

My hubby wanted to put another decal on (NOT!) but I talked him into painted on colored stripes.

What I want/need from those who have gone this path before me:
What kind of paint for the aluminum coach part of the MH?
What kind of paint for the cab of the MH?
What technique should I use on painting?
Do I need to use some sort of clear coat? (I don't want the MH TOO shiny - my eyes are light sensitive and cannot stand a lot of reflective surfaces.)
What colors are best to stand up to sun and rain?
Assuming I spray paint it, should it be the rattle can or a paint sprayer?
And, Oh Yes, budget is very important - which is why I'm doing it myself. (Grin!)

Many thanks!

Evpraxia

Old 05-15-10, 03:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Evpraxia!

You might try using some solvents to help with the adhesive removal.

You don't want to paint that much area with an aerosol can it would take too many cans and be too difficult to get consistent coverage.

Automotive paints would probably hold up the best but they will have a glossy sheen. Some automotive paints require a clear coat but some do not. You could also use an oil base enamel, some of which can be gotten in a lower sheen. If you go that route - stay away from dark colors as they would be prone to fading. Latex paints will adhere well and can be gotten in any sheen or color but they won't hold up well traveling down the road

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: