2000 dodge ram

Old 05-02-08, 11:20 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 dodge ram

Hello folks...For about the last 6 months my dodge 2500 4x4 has been acting like it don't want to go from low to high when taking off. I just assumed the modulator valve might be going bad???????Then yesterday coming home i did'nt think it was going to shift into a higher gear but finally did and i made it home. But today i left the house and had to turn around and come back because it won't get out of low gear. The trans fluid looks clean and red color and at the proper level. I changed the fluid and filter about 2 yrs ago myself. If it is the modulator valve how hard is it to replace since i have never done this before, and i assume you have to drop the pan down to get to it, so should i put a new filter and fluid in too? I checked online with advance and auto zone but they don't list that part, so must only be available thru the dealer??? Wonder how much...Thanks

Old 05-02-08, 11:27 AM
I checked online with advance and auto zone but they don't list that part, so must only be available thru the dealer??? Wonder how much...Thanks
Likely because it does not exist......

Transmissions have become "Computer Controlled" , which eliminates the need for modulators. Have the unit professionally checked.

Old 05-02-08, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oren
Hello folks...For about the last 6 months my dodge 2500 4x4 has been acting like it don't want to go from low to high when taking off. I just assumed the modulator valve might be going bad???????Then yesterday coming home i did'nt think it was going to shift into a higher gear but finally did and i made it home. But today i left the house and had to turn around and come back because it won't get out of low gear. The trans fluid looks clean and red color and at the proper level. I changed the fluid and filter about 2 yrs ago myself. If it is the modulator valve how hard is it to replace since i have never done this before, and i assume you have to drop the pan down to get to it, so should i put a new filter and fluid in too? I checked online with advance and auto zone but they don't list that part, so must only be available thru the dealer??? Wonder how much...Thanks
how many miles??
i had a 98 dodge and the bands had to be adjusted periodically! just a thought!

Old 05-02-08, 02:41 PM
late or harsh upshifts are oil pressure related. that trans is computer controlled and needs to be pressure tested first to see if it's a line pressure issue (pcs=pressure control solenoid) or it could be a shift valve issue. if this is the case, suspect a small particle contamination from an impending failure (sorry...sometimes shift issues are a precursor). in either case, i think it's a pro diagnosis thing. letting it ride is a bad choice because when it does shift, the harshness can damage other internal parts.

Old 05-02-08, 04:31 PM
O
Funny thing is I had to put 2 new batteries in and after that is when the trouble started with the trans not shifting into 2nd gear.Could this have had anything to do to cause this as my alternator was acting funny too but now seems to be ok...thanks

Old 05-06-08, 12:03 PM
O
Red face

GOOD NEWS.. After my dodge has been parked for 3 days i took it down the road and the transmission worked fine. Could this have been caused by installing 2 new batteries. The old batteries came in the truck and are 8 yrs old. I installed a new one on a saturday and the other a week later..Just wondering if this could somehow messed up the computer and after sitting idle for 3 days it maybe fixed it self.. lol, its a dodge

Old 05-06-08, 08:06 PM
dodges are very voltage sensitive for some reason so it definantly could have been caused by low voltage, replacing the batts could have reset the computer. if it works good but you probably should have a good shop check it out just in case.
Murphy was an optimist

Old 05-22-08, 04:16 AM
O
There is an adjustment that is recommended by Dodge when you have the trans pan pulled off and changing oil. I have a 2000 Dodge and it does the same thing. Worse in cold weather. If you will get a Haynes manual and research under transmission it will takke you through it. It is like a band adjustment. OOPsy 59

Old 05-22-08, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It sounds as if you have a Cummins. If so, the intake heating element, when you first crank it, and for a while afterwards, consumes a horrendous amount of current from the right battery because the alternator can't keep up with the initial demand. I can see my fuel pressure drop from 13 to about 8 sporadically until the engine has heated enough to run without the heater and it cycles off. That is directly from current loss to the lift pump (aftermarket Aeromotive inline). So ruling out the batteries may not be that too far fetched.

Old 05-25-08, 07:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by chandler
It sounds as if you have a Cummins. If so, the intake heating element, when you first crank it, and for a while afterwards, consumes a horrendous amount of current from the right battery because the alternator can't keep up with the initial demand. I can see my fuel pressure drop from 13 to about 8 sporadically until the engine has heated enough to run without the heater and it cycles off. That is directly from current loss to the lift pump (aftermarket Aeromotive inline). So ruling out the batteries may not be that too far fetched.
hmm... replace alternator with high output one, maybe?

Old 06-15-08, 10:56 AM
B
98 Dodge tranny

Oren I to have a problem with the shifting from low to high. I also changed the filter and fluid it did not help at all. Is the 98 also electronic?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: