what to swap out tranny

Old 05-09-08, 03:06 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what to swap out tranny

i have a 79 gmc k1500 long-bed with a strong 350 motor and a weak tranny and transfer case, what i am looking to do is swap out the tranny and transfer case for a straight tranny. i have access to a 350 tranny w/b&m pro pak that should mount right up, question is what all is involved in the swap and can this be done with little cost ? will i need a custom made drive shaft or will one form a c1500 long-bed work? any help or advise would be great thanks

Old 05-09-08, 09:58 PM
Since you've mentioned "Little Cost".... The 2WD version is your ONLY option for a Prop shaft....You may need to Do some homework as far as matching Ujoints and the pinion Yoke on the diff.....But it is still cheaper than Buying a Custom Cut Shaft.

Old 05-09-08, 11:58 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A C1500 long box driveshaft should fit in there but my suggest is double check the length of the driveshaft to make sure you are on safe side.

{ some of them do have two peice driveshaft so you may have to add a midshaft support as well }

Also you will have to move the transmisson support bracket IIRC i think there is a punched hole on the frame if not you will have to drill it out.

And let me add little more quick tip here flush out the transmisson oil cooler out before you hook up a nice new or rebuilted tranny the reason why because that way you can get rid of some of debries it can be left in the cooler.

Also it will be wise idea to add a exteral transmisson oil cooler along the way.

Merci, Marc

Old 05-10-08, 08:29 PM
F
thanks for the info

guys that what i kinda of thought as far as low cost and a c1500 drive shaft is an external cooler better then the one going thru the radiator? will let you know how it turns out thanks

Old 05-10-08, 09:14 PM
external is allways better than the one in the rad. if you can find a same year model pu in a salvage yard you can get the cross mounts that you know will fit. usually the holes are already in the frame. I would install new mounts and u-joints with the trans also. also inspect the flywheel to make sure there are no hairline cracks in it at the crankshaft

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: