RV ceiling repair

Old 05-10-08, 08:37 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RV ceiling repair

I am restoring a 1982 Pace Arrow motorhome, had a small celing leak and need to repair ceiling, but i'm not sure of ceiling construction. Want to understand how it is made before I tear into.

Old 05-11-08, 07:19 PM
M
How bad was the leak, damage? Remove batten strip (trim) between panels, and either remove staples holding it up, or simply pry carefully, the edge of the panel away from 2x2 or whatever is holding it in place. Is it damaged that bad, or is it just a stain that's bothering you. If just a stain, "BIN" can be used to cover/seal it, and paint touch up over. BIN stops the stain from bleeding through the new paint.

Old 05-31-08, 09:12 PM
H
Smile Water Damage, Roof And Walls, 1968 Sunset Trailer

For "free" we just acquired a 1968 Sunset camper trailer (sleeps 6) 16'. Our son is excited, as are we... however, it is sooooo water damaged! We ripped out all the paneling on the walls and ceiling that would rip by hand due to the water damage and found quite a mess. The wood supports 2x2 and 1x1 are all rotted and need to be replaced. The flooring under the linoleum in the cargo areas had to be ripped up to the foam. In the front, all the paneling and fiberglass had to be ripped out to the metal on the front. Did I mention that the sky light leaks too?
Before we toss this to the curb, which would break our son's heart, ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!???? I can see the potential, the neighbors already are testy so it has to be a quick repair!!! Thank You! Pam and Paul

Old 05-31-08, 09:22 PM
H
water damage and walls came apart from roof, see sun

I forgot to mention that we can see the sky through the top of the wall and the roof in the front right side of the 1968 sunset camper (see next thread)... The roof split from the side, you can see where the rivets or bolts popped up... HELP PLEASE! Thank you, Paul and Pam.

Old 06-01-08, 06:42 AM
M
I hate to say it for your sons sake but, there really is no quick fix for that, if for no other reason, the safety of your family, or someone else that may be coming toward you when it falls apart from a big truck going by. A 16 ft trailer rebuild is not out of the question, if the metal frame rails and springs etc are still good, that your trailer is sitting on. If you take pictures before you rip things out, it usually makes it easier to remember where everything goes back in. I think it probably has aluminum siding correct? If so, that makes it easier too, because that can be removed to allow for easier rebuild. If you can cut 2x4's & 2x2's and screw & glue, and are the least bit handy, you might have a chance. Can you get us some pictures? ALl depends on how ambitious you are. Is there any areas that are not water damaged? Cupboards, etc still good or swoolen from water too ?

Old 03-13-10, 09:12 AM
S
Set dance

Originally Posted by Mike.B View Post
How bad was the leak, damage? Remove batten strip (trim) between panels, and either remove staples holding it up, or simply pry carefully, the edge of the panel away from 2x2 or whatever is holding it in place. Is it damaged that bad, or is it just a stain that's bothering you. If just a stain, "BIN" can be used to cover/seal it, and paint touch up over. BIN stops the stain from bleeding through the new paint.
Hi Mike.B,
My camper has a cloth ceiling with mildew stains on it in toilet and shower. I cleaned it with vinegar but traces of the stains remain. Can I use BIN and then paint it??? I was considering doing this after consulting local paint shop but decided to look for any information available on the problem.
Your advice on this site is appreciated.
Many thanks
Set dance

Old 03-20-10, 06:58 PM
M
Originally Posted by Set dance View Post
Hi Mike.B,
My camper has a cloth ceiling with mildew stains on it in toilet and shower. I cleaned it with vinegar but traces of the stains remain. Can I use BIN and then paint it??? I was considering doing this after consulting local paint shop but decided to look for any information available on the problem.
Your advice on this site is appreciated.
Many thanks
Set dance
Have you tried peeling a little back and see if it isn't just cloth, glued to paneling? If yes, peel all the bad area off, and buy some similar material at a sew shop or linen shop that you like and get spray adhesive and simply replace it. I don't think bin will work on that, but it has done some amazing things, maybe it's worth a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: