83 El Camino

Old 07-01-08, 01:41 PM
83 El Camino

Got an 83 El Camino - basically a Chevelle/Cutlass etc. under the skin - with a 305 and Rochester 4barrel. A previous owner has removed the emissions gear and any computerized carburetor sensors no longer work. Gas mileage is atrocious - about 11, so the question - is there a more efficient carburetor out there that can be installed with minimum fuss? We have no emissions testing in my rural area so this isn't a problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-08, 03:04 PM
Before blaming the carb....if the emmissions stuff was removed and the computer disabled, My first order of buisness would be a pre-1980 DISTRIBUTOR.....The later CCC distributors have no advance mechanisms because Timing was computer controlled. You are running a V8 , at hiway speeds, with no advance curve., at base timing.....No wonder your mileage is so horrible........You will also pick up a few free "PONIES" in the process. The Carbs themselves werent very likely to be as picky about being unplugged, but Ignition systems on CCC cars were bare bones , and didnt do anything special , because they didnt have to.

Old 07-01-08, 03:15 PM
Also pick yourself up a pre 1980 Quadrajet, it is a bolt on fit and will allow you to tune for your engine.

Old 07-02-08, 02:50 PM
Red face 83 El Camino

Thanks to both you gents for your input. Looking at the distributor idea first. I've found several for the '79 305/Rochester 4bbl with an average of about $120. Most specify "not for use in CA or for emissions control" - that sound about right? My Haynes book says fairly straightforward if you mark for #1 and block positions - famous last words .

Old 07-02-08, 03:00 PM
83 El Camino

Another thought just trickled from one of my deepening crevices. After sitting for a few days, lots of starter with choke set barely gets a couple to fire. Hardly ever does it catch and run so we end up with a flood start. After settling down, it runs just fine. Plugs look great and, other than using lots of gas, it's fairly lively.