chevy truck - spare tire removal

Old 07-05-08, 06:48 PM
chevy truck - spare tire removal

On most newer model chevy trucks, there is a hole in the rear bumper that lets you insert a tool to turn the thing that lowers the spare tire. I no longer have this tool, as I bought the truck used. What can be used in place of that tool ? Someone told me that the screw end of a single lungh wrench will work. What are my options ? At present im basically running around with no spare.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-08, 08:22 PM
Go to the wrecking yard and find the right tool in a wreck.
Mike

Old 07-08-08, 06:21 PM
what year model is it? around 2000 they changed from using the tire iron to lower the spare to using the jacking rod, if you have the 4 piece jack rod put two sections together and insert the big end(opposite from the end that turns the jack) into the winch hole in the bumper to let the tire down.

Old 07-08-08, 08:03 PM
mine is a 1997 model, so where do i find the tool i need ? what will work besides the factory tool ?

Old 07-09-08, 04:19 AM
I think on a 97 you can use the tapered end of a lug wrench to lower the tire. If your truck is a 4 wheel drive the lug size is 7/8 inch, you wont find this at an auto parts store so a wrecking yard is probably your best chance.

Old 09-07-08, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by wire twister View Post
what year model is it? around 2000 they changed from using the tire iron to lower the spare to using the jacking rod, if you have the 4 piece jack rod put two sections together and insert the big end(opposite from the end that turns the jack) into the winch hole in the bumper to let the tire down.
I have the 4 piece jack extensions and I've been trying for almost an hour to get that to fit into the female end of the 'winch'. I can't seem to get them to line up properly.

Are there any 'tricks' to this or is there another way I can get the spare tire down?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-08, 10:56 AM
I will not ever have my spare tire mounted under my truck! If your truck is more than 8 years old I would have the cable that holds the spare tire up replaced,or use a safty chain with the cable. Speaking from expereance I had a tire break free on me lucky I was putting the spare tire back up in place. It could of been very bad if I was going down the highway and hit a bump! Anyway back on topic the tool you need is a rathet type tool that your tire iron fits through. Up here in canada I see them in all auto parts stores, and not much money.

Good Luck!!!

Old 09-07-08, 05:20 PM
thanks everyone. yes, I managed to get it off without any special tool to go through the bumper. I just used a open-ended wrench and managed to get at the area on the part that turns and start it turning.

Old 09-07-08, 05:31 PM
there a dime a dozen

If you go to a wrecking yard they are a dime a dozen as there is not a high demand for them like other parts. a couple bucks max I would think.

Old 09-13-08, 05:08 PM
truck mech

did you have a special key to turn the spair tire crank if so you can look up in the center hole of spair and see the black tube reach up and twist hard and it will come off than you will see the lock and a bin or clip that holds it in. take it off and remove lock now you can use a flat tip that is real long or a handle from a car jack that is flat on one end and let down tire.

Old 09-22-08, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by shadetreeall View Post
did you have a special key to turn the spair tire crank if so you can look up in the center hole of spair and see the black tube reach up and twist hard and it will come off th
There is a bracket in the center hole of the spare tire that prevents me from reaching up there.