69 Kenskill Travel Trailer

Old 07-11-08, 08:48 PM
69 Kenskill Travel Trailer

Well I'm about to undertake a large project with my trailer. I am going to do a full rebuild of it internally. I just bought it about 1 month ago and since I have owned it i have noticed that the previous owner was really not taking care of it over the time they had it, the ceiling was barely on and is just tacked up at the moment the ceiling vent is is bad shape not really sure what is keeping it together. I can also feel some soft spots on the floor and the finish on all the wood is starting to peel some of the wood is even starting to peel apart. So to make all this really simple I'm looking for some advise on how to prep to take this all apart and back together again with as little pain as possible. Because to make it even more intresting I'll be living in it at the same time. Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-08, 05:16 AM
First thing to concentrate on is the outside. Give it a good bath, & take a look at all the moldings, vents etc on the roof. Make sure you scrape, prep and re-seal as needed. Then continue on to the rest of the trailer, sides, front, back, around windows, everywhere that something is attached that could cause a leak.
If it isn't sealed properly, your efforts could be for nothing.
Also do a water system pressure test, to make sure you haven't got water lines leaking that you didn't know about. If your running pump off of potable tank, simply pressure it up until pump stops. Shut pump off. Keep all taps etc. closed for 1/2 - 1 hr., then turn pump back on. If it cycles, look for a leak. The length of the cycle will give you an indication of how big of a leak you have.

Old 07-16-08, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sandrunner View Post
Well I'm about to undertake a large project with my trailer. Because to make it even more intresting I'll be living in it at the same time. Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.
First of all good luck. The old trailers hold many surprises but what you have going for you is that Kenskills were one of the better made trailers in their day. I have a yahoo group dedicated to them at Kenskill Karavan
It is a new group and small but growing. Depending on how much work you want to do, I recommend replacing the vent with a Fantastic Fan vent. If you can figure out how to run power to it they may trailer living much better. Mine was added when I had it re-skinned.
How long is your trailer? I have some old ad's for the earlier year and my have one of yours.
Re-sealing windows takes time but is easy using butyl tape from any RV store. You may want re-do the edge trim all around the trailer to. I recommend replacing any screws with stainless steel screws if you can.

Dennis

Old 07-25-08, 04:58 PM
OK thanks guy i'll do that and for the water system fixed all of that i had alot of corrosion in the tank and i had to totaly scrap it and installed a newer model to take care of that so no leaks in the line so now onto the outter skin and leaks there for me and again thx guys

Old 07-26-08, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by Sandrunner View Post
OK thanks guy i'll do that and for the water system fixed all of that i had alot of corrosion in the tank and i had to totaly scrap it and installed a newer model to take care of that so no leaks in the line so now onto the outter skin and leaks there for me and again thx guys
Good Luck, Keep us up to date. Maybe you'll find a buried treasure, who knows. (ha-ha)