Nissan Titan gas problems?

Old 07-17-08, 07:44 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nissan Titan gas problems?

Hello,

I have a 2004 Nissan Titan 5.6l truck. Three weeks ago it seems that I pumped some bad premium 93 octane gas into my engine. My truck would sputter on every overpass on the interstate. Then once I got into the city it totally killed twice!

I brought my truck to my mechanic and he told me I have two choices. Either do a complete gas treatment, or wait until I have an empty tank and replace the fuel filter which is inside of the tank ($750.00).

I chose the fuel treatment and my truck has performed fine until yesterday. When my tank gets low the truck sputters and loses power. Should I have the expense fuel filter replaced or pursue other less expensive solutions?

Thanks,

Joey

Old 07-18-08, 04:23 AM
W
Looking at the service manual the fuel filter is indeed inside the tank(I thought Ford had all the better ideas) The Advance Auto website lists the fuel pump assy for over 700 dollars, while Autozone shows it for less than 200, big difference might be worth checking out. As far as what to do, if it were me i would try some STP fuel treatment and keep the tank full before i spent that much on a fuel filter.

Old 07-18-08, 04:31 AM
acting up when low on fuel is more indicative of a loss of fuel pressure like a small crack in the pick up than plugged fuel filter, a plugged filter usually will act up all of the time not just when low on fuel.

drop the tank and inspect the fuel pick up for cracks or looseness, then replace the pick up filter. there should be a replaceable filter some where in the fuel line also. Only haveing a filter in the tank whould be the height of stupidity.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 07-18-08, 01:32 PM
W
Speedwrench, I guess you need to sign up Nissan's engineers. The parts stores only show one filter for the Titan and it is in the tank, extremly stupid to put it there IMHO.

Old 07-18-08, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My Maximas filter is in the tank as well, and manual lists the filter as not ever needing replacement...

Old 07-18-08, 03:30 PM
C
Nissan Titan gas woes

Thanks for the input,

I forgot to mention that I experience power loss, sputtering even on a full tank when I bury the pedal to pass another vehicle, cross an intersection, etc.

Today was so bad that I will probably bring to mechanic tomorrow. However, I will relay information you guys have included in the previous posts.

Any other thoughts before I throw in the white towel, 65 bucks in emptying a gas tank, and about $800.00 in mechanic bills?

Thanks,

Joey

Old 07-18-08, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you talked with the station that gave you this bad gas? I'm sure there's got to be alot of others in the same situation...

Old 07-18-08, 06:40 PM
C
Nissan Titan gas woes

No I have not,

Good idea,

I will call them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Joey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question