boat trailer lights problem

Old 07-19-08, 08:35 AM
boat trailer lights problem

my trailer lights dont work right. when you turn the left or right blinker on they both flash, taillights work,when you step on the brakes they go out. i replaced the wires with an new harness from the lights to the front,i conected the right colored wires the way they where before,i thought. what is the problem and how to fix,thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 09:18 AM
Check to be sure that the ground wire "typically the white wire" has a good clean connection ,on the trailer side of the plug ,connect to the trailer frame. A common misconception is that the trailer grounds through the ball, however this is not always a good clean connection... hope this helps

good luck and have a great day

Old 07-19-08, 11:42 AM
the turn signals work now,i had to ground it better then it was. but now when the the tail lights are on and you but the brakes on the tail lights go out. but when the tail lights are off and i put the brakes on the brake lights come on. now what?

Old 07-19-08, 06:26 PM
make sure the white wire is grounded on the truck side of the harness as well, if it is not you still only have the ball as a ground point.

Old 07-20-08, 06:00 AM
Do you by chance have seperate brake lights & tail lights? For example, Amber lights for signals, and red for brakes above or below the signals? If so, you'll have to get a module/splitter that splits that circuit, usually anywhere where they sell wiring for trailers.

Old 07-21-08, 01:11 PM
i have the amber turn on my pickup,red for brake

Old 07-21-08, 04:54 PM
Go to autoparts store, or any hitch install place and explain that you need the splitter/converter for system with brake lights & signal lights that work independently. Have a look at attached link. (http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=209)

Old 07-21-08, 07:09 PM
Smile

Thanks mike I'm having same prob. I just got on and the first thread I come to sounds like my problem. 1997 GMC Jimmy seems to have five wires.

Thanks
Dan

Old 07-22-08, 04:46 PM
Hope it works for ya guys ! There are different versions/manufacturers of this thing, so it doesn't have to be that particular brand, as long as it does the same thing.