timbren or air springs

Old 07-19-08, 05:01 PM
timbren or air springs

Which would be better for me to have put on truck I have a 2002 f150 4x4 and have a slide in camper Campers a little heavy for factory springs Only have a bout 1/2 inch between rubber stop and axle when camper is loaded onto truck,Only use camper on weekends so don't want to buy bigger truck.Just came back from 2 week camping trip into mountains so truck will handle camper just want more clearance

Last edited by ski332; 07-19-08 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 06:51 PM
You could try a set of overload springs. They make a big diff. in hauling a heavy load and don't affect the way your truck rides.

Old 07-19-08, 09:43 PM
checked into helper springs was wondering if they say 2500 lb helper springs does that mean the helper springs are good for 2500 lbs or is it a total weight for both your regular and helper spring combined??

Old 07-19-08, 09:56 PM
From you I have learned It adds that to the total you allready have. If you have a 3/4 ton and add the 2500# helpers it will make it act like a 1 ton.

Old 07-30-08, 07:56 PM

I install Timbren SES units on my Tow Vehicle approx 4 years ago. Loved them since day one. Finally, no more rear sag, headlights pointing in the air and ride comfort is much better (compared to factory). As advertised, one simply installs them and leaves them. If wondering, they are like air bags without pressurized air inside them. Thus, no worry about air leaks. And, they can be adjusted (when installed) using spacers. Unloaded ride is unchanged. For my towing needs, Timbrens were well worth it. I call it a "no fuss - no muss" solution to improving factory suspensions.

Air bags are often installed by an auto shop. Air bags are adjustable (single valve or valve on each bag) and thus, one can adjust their ride comfort. But being compressed air, they may leak. Air bags (like Firestone ride rite system) are more expensive then Timbren SES units. Especially if one installs an onboard air compressor as well.

Which to buy for your needs??? The choice is up to you. Timbrens can be easily installed by the average person and are an "install it and leave it" product. Air bugs are more expesisve to buy, often need a wrench monkey to install them but are adjustable. Thus, its ride comfort (under load) can be changed. Some folks like adjusting things all the time. In the end, each product has their own pros and cons.

Hope this helps - somehow...