1990 Chevy V1500 Brake Lines/Parking Brake

Old 07-23-08, 08:27 PM
1990 Chevy V1500 Brake Lines/Parking Brake

Just bought this V1500 Suburban, good truck from the last days before SUVs stopped being trucks and came on par with an oversized minivan. For $1200 it has it's fair share of problems, mostly minor but two that need to be addressed. One of the steel brake lines exploded recently and I've been having a lot of trouble disconnecting them from the master cylinder. I cannot for the life of me loosen them from the master cylinder [2 days of spraying with PB blaster and a line wrench has done nothing but start to round it off] does anyone have a trick to get these hydro lines unscrewed without doing damage to the master cylinder?

Second problem is the parking brake [pedal type], it doesn't always stick down and sometimes pops back up on its own. What could be the cause of this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 05:09 PM
You can use Freeze Shock (from a lot of auto parts stores). It drops the temp of the line and may loosen it when other penetrants fail. Or you can use dry ice to do the same thing. Either way just put the stuff on the line/fitting, not on the cylinder. Then try to tighten it first - only slightly. Then turn it to loosen it.

The brake pedal has a little ratchet job on most of them that either gunks up or strips slightly that causes that. If you stand on your head under there, you can see it. Otherwise you take it off to fix it. If it's worn you usually want to leave the ratchet dry of lubricant or you can make it slip more.

Old 07-24-08, 05:37 PM
cut the lines off at the nuts at the mastercylinder and hit them a sharp rap with a hammer on the end then use a six point socket to remove them.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 07-24-08, 11:22 PM
Speedwrench, thanks a lot I did that and it worked. I was worried that if I couldn't get it I might have to pull the whole master cylinder and work on it in a vice grip. That just would have been more trouble than its worth.

Old 07-26-08, 01:26 AM
Boy do I know how to pick em'
Upon closer inspection I'm leaking large quantities of differential fluid and the body mounts on the left side of the body are broken, explains why my truck sits an inch lower on the left side... at least the frame is good, this'll be fun.

Is it even possible to repair the body mounts or should I not even bother?

Old 08-17-08, 07:05 PM
sorry didn't check the post for a while after returning from az. yes you can replace the body mounts. yes you should replace them.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.