Intake manifold coolant leak in '00 Tahoe - do what?

Old 08-03-08, 05:15 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Intake manifold coolant leak in '00 Tahoe - do what?

Howdy! I need some advice, please. I just bought a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 in great shape, 109k miles, maintained at the dealer. However, I've found what looks like a very small leak at the intake manifold gasket. Only shows up as a slight oiliness of the block in that area.

I checked some of the Chevy forums, and apparently these rigs are infamous for having a problem here, with Dexron coolant leaking from the manifold internally into the crankcase oil and ultimately trashing the engine.

My mechanic says don't worry about it unless it's dripping or running poorly, and I'd be happy to take his advice since the repair is $800-1,000, but I don't want to blow my engine either! I'd be grateful for ideas on how to approach this -- monitor coolant levels and oil quality, or fix a.s.a.p., or go yell at the guy I bought it from, or ?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
howdy-ho
well, like they say:
don't fix it if it ain't brok. but if it's brok - fix it right on.
i'd rather have it fixed and be at peace than be afraid of driving. there are many other notorious issues to worry about with chevy products, no need to add insult to an injury.
it should not be that hard to DIY though. V8 engines have fair access to this type of repairs.