Replace Wood Floor on my Trailer

Old 08-16-08, 03:22 PM
Replace Wood Floor on my Trailer

I have a 6 X 10 utility tailer for light hauling. The 2X6 boards are starting to splinter. I want to replce them. I've noticed the only hardware holding them down is right in the middle of the boards. But it looks like at the end of the boards are tucked under a metal trim.

My question is: How do I go about getting all of the boards under the trim? At first I can put them in at a diagnal and slide them in side by side. What happens when I cant do that any longer because I'm down to mylast 3 or 4 boards?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-08, 05:06 PM
you will have to go to a welding shop and have one of the trims(front or rear) cut off, then after replacing the boards have it welded back on.

Old 08-25-08, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by jgravittjr View Post
I have a 6 X 10 utility tailer for light hauling. The 2X6 boards are starting to splinter. I want to replce them. I've noticed the only hardware holding them down is right in the middle of the boards. But it looks like at the end of the boards are tucked under a metal trim.

My question is: How do I go about getting all of the boards under the trim? At first I can put them in at a diagnal and slide them in side by side. What happens when I cant do that any longer because I'm down to mylast 3 or 4 boards?
Just replaced mine this past weekend! I stuck one end of the board all the way into one end of the metal trim. Then I used a jack on a cylinder block in the middle to arch the board down into the other end of the metal trim. You'll have to use trial and error to get the right height set so the board will bend down into the channel. Once it appears it will go into the channel, have someone let off the jack and it will gradually go into the channel.

TIP: If you hear the board start to crack, stop, set it aside and let it soak in water for about an hour.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-08, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
I like bayouboyz thinking! Adapt, overcome, improvise!

And you could have them only 1/2 way under the lip on each end. Cut them opening size plus whatever the depth of one lip is. Slide them under one end, then slide back 1/2 way into the other. If it's 1 1/2-2" angle, shouldn't be a problem.

I might be concerned about shrinkage. Though normally its more across the grain than end to end.

Even easier might be just put plywood on top and deck screw it to the 2x6. Depends on what you haul I guess.