wiring a trailer

Old 08-31-08, 11:36 AM
tae
wiring a trailer

Hi all. This is my first time to wire a trailer and I'm not sure I understand it. I have a factory flat four wire plug on Expedition. Trying to wire it to a Ford pickup bed trailer. The trailer has 2 bulbs each side,one for turn signals and one multi filament for driving lights and brake lights. Turn signal has 2 wires (Pos and Neg) and other has 3 wires (2 Pos and 1 Neg). Trailer wire has a green wire and brown wire for one side and a yellow wire and brown wire for the other sideand white to ground. How exactly am I supposed to wire 2 wires up to the 5 wires on trailer lights?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 12:13 PM
On the trailer harness, brown is tail, Yellow is left, green right, white to chassis ground.

The Ford sockets probably use brown for tail, and and green for left, orange for right (on our '85 ford F150). It has no separate turn, but separate backup lights (black with white stripe).

In any case, ignore the second single filament bulb, and use just the double filament. The heavier filament is tail, the lighter one stop/turn.

Old 08-31-08, 12:47 PM
tae
Ahhhh...ok. Now it makes sense. Not sure why I was thinking backup light was turn signal. Brain Fart I guess. Thanks!!

Old 08-31-08, 12:53 PM
classicsat. heavier filament is stop/turn, lighter filament is tail, not the otherway. the heavier filament puts out more light.
check out this web site http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies