1998 K1500 z71 Chevy w/ Erratic Fuel Pump

Old 09-19-08, 09:44 AM
1998 K1500 z71 Chevy w/ Erratic Fuel Pump

About two months ago the fuel pump on my truck stopped working for a short time. (Fuel pump makes an obvious noise when key is turned, but didnt this time) I had to go to work and some friends pushed it to a mechanic friend of mine, who simply turned the key and started it as if there never was a problem. A month ago I drove to Ohio (Scholarship to kent State) from Texas. About 1400 miles or so, three days, no problems. I've now been here for a month and two weeks ago it did the same thing. After me and a neighbor went through the round of checking fuses and him telling me the fuel pump had probibly died, my girlfriend took me to the movies to take my mind off of it. When we returned, the truck started as if nothing had happened. Now last night the truck did the same thing in my work parking lot, except this morning it didn't magically work again. Its in the process of being towed back to the driveway.

I've heard a couple of different theories from people around me, ranging from wiring issues (which would explain the random work/notwork aspect) to a dirty fuel can (maybe clogging up the pump), but I'm not an expert with vehicles. What I am though is poor (college student), and when your poor you learn to fix things yourself. Anyone have any ideas? It would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-08, 10:18 AM
As you're aware there are a number of possibilities. The easiest way to narrow it down is to go as close to the pump in the electrical circuit and check for power when it's not working. If you're lucky, you'll find a lack of power in the circuit and can trace it back toward the source of power = battery. Along the way you'll find the break.

I suspect, however, the problem is going to be fixed with another fuel pump.

Old 09-19-08, 10:37 AM
I guess the pump isn't giving up without a fight, but might be inevitably dieing. A mechanic told me it would be about two hours of labor for him, I equate that to about four days of my time! Is it possible to lower the gas tank, or pop the bed of the truck and replace the fuel pump without special tools? Or am I using the bus till I have the money to pony up?

Old 09-19-08, 12:14 PM
No you can do it. The big thing is to get the gas out of tank first. There is a hot wire for the pump, but since the pump is gagging on you, I would just get a cheap syphon.

From there, a couple of bands hold the tank on, disconnect the fill tube on the way down. Make sure you have some tiered blocking you can use to let it down some, then stop to look it over, disconnect things, etc. Otherwise you may like to stop on the way down but can't.

Then it's just a matter of taking out the old one, letting off the fuel pressure, and putting the new one back in. Mark parts as you disconnect them. You don't have to look like a pro to get it done once.

When you get to the wire connections at the pump, check and double check them for current and clean off the ground really well.

Here's a couple of links to what you would be doing: (take note of the relieving fuel system pressure)

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c1528008f28a
http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...00c1528008f1ea