O2 sensor 01 Dodge

Old 09-26-08, 10:30 AM
O2 sensor 01 Dodge

I have a Dodge Ram 2001 model with 5.9 liter engine.
The transmission went out and the vehicle sat idle for over a year b/f I had it repaired. Soon after I got it back with a new transmission the check engine light came on. It was throwing a code for the 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I went to the parts store purchased the sensor that I needed. The clerk told me that this was a universal sensor and my mechanic could clip the wires and replace the harness to fit. I took it to my mechanic. He installed it reluctantly stating that he did not like the universal type. But the auto parts store did not have the original equipment. He told me to keep the old harness just in case we have any trouble. Of course now I can't find the box with the old harness in it. We have tried 2 other sensors and cannot remedy the situation. The engine is running fine but the gas mileage is worse than usual. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry for the long post I am a plumber and not a mechanic. Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-08, 04:15 PM
bank 1 # 2 sensor is a cataltic coverter monitor, the parts guy may have sold you a o2 sensor instead of a cat monitor,BIG difference.that is why you should let your mechanic buy and install the parts

Old 09-29-08, 07:55 AM
i never ues universal parts as such if you tech crossed the wires when installing almost any thing could have happened i have seen these O2 that have been wired incorectly and that had fed back and took out ecm make sure that the tech found a vehicle spacific wiring diagram also i would install an oem type O2

Old 10-01-08, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback. You are right next time I will leave the part buying up to my mechanic.