F 250 2001 drive train problem

Old 10-17-08, 07:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question F 250 2001 drive train problem

this is a 2001 F 250 city owned maintenance truck that i picked up as is at a city auction, all around its in very good condition.
while driving home it seamed to have good pick up plenty of power but once on the highway it began to shake and jerk wildly i pulled off the road and did a visual inspection kicked the wheels shook the body bounced the bumper every thing seamed fine so i proceeded home this time giving the truck every thing it had the shaking was interminent at different speeds and noticed possible slipping.

what would cause the tachometer to spike between 2 & 3 grand, going at about about 30 to 45 mph and cause a violent shaking that feels like your wheel is about to fall off ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 05:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
Unless the motor is surging/trans slipping, i wouldn't worry about the tach reading.... at least not right now

You need to jack up the front end and check all the suspension parts for play and make sure the wheels are tight, straight and roll smoothly.

Old 10-18-08, 09:01 AM
If its a Auto trans its probably the Torque Converter. I know when mine went out several years ago, it caused a bucking motion, and would allow the engine to rev with little forward motion.

Old 10-18-08, 12:20 PM
C
thanks marksr i will check out your suggestion, vc-racing yes, it is an automatic, i though it also maybe torque converter, thanks for both of your replies, keep them coming

Last edited by chef sam; 10-18-08 at 12:21 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 10-27-08, 05:36 PM
C
end thread

F.Y.I.
problem solved turned out to be front end suspension along with flat spots on tires, from being non opp for some time.transmission checked out OK aside from u-joints.
took it to FORD for an all points inspection and diagnostic.
Beer 4U2