Tires warped? Can they be fixed?

Old 10-23-08, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tires warped? Can they be fixed?

I bought a used 5x10 utility trailer a few weeks back with ST 205/75 D15 tires on it. It's ridden GREAT until the other day, when I had hauled a load of dirt in it, and on the way home, let it sit for about an hr while we ate. I didn't realize the pressure was low in the tires, and now I have a low spot on each of them. When I drive slow now, I can see the trailer dip a bit every revolution, and it now vibrates when going above 30mph.

Is there anything that can be done to get the tires round again? The rims are fine. I jacked up each side, spun the tire, and the rims are true, but you can see the dip in one area of each tire.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-08, 06:46 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just inflate the tires to the proper PSI, put a small load on it and pull it. The tires will round themselves out. The tires need to flex to loosen up the flat spots.

Old 10-23-08, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, since the trailer was purchased used, do you know how old the tires are? I think its possible the belts have cracked or separated. You can get the age of the tires by the DOT number.....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

I had that happen when I was younger and bought some used tires from a private party. "Oh, they came off his 2 y/o truck and have been stored in the garage the whole time". Week later I get this nasty thump thump sound. Call the manufacturer about warranty (Hey, you can try right?), was told they were at least 8 y/o tires and they didn't even make them anymore. After replacement the tire place told me the insides were all dry rotted and the belts had separated. They were older non-radials (bias ply?).

Old 10-23-08, 12:27 PM
I'll be driving it again tonight for more dirt... maybe I'll only remove half of it this time and then drive it around for a while to see. They're bias ply tires, suppose to be good ones ... they sat for a whole yr in the guys driveway, and they look like brand new (trailer was made in 03).

Old 10-23-08, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, I think you MAY find yer in for new tires.
The ones I bought LOOKED fine. Even still had some of the rubber nubs from the molding process. And they weren't freshly Armour-All'd or anything. They were off the rims and had cobwebs inside. But according to the Engineer from the manufacturer, its all about the internal degradation from airborne pollutants, chemicals, and such. Nothing visible until the cords separated.

Flat spots from sitting for a while normally go away pretty quickly, in my experience. If they don't go away after they get heated up from a mild load and driving...I think you need to look for new ones.

Was this the first heavy load you had hauled? You may have just hit their limit

Old 10-23-08, 06:27 PM
if you have flat spots after driving in any kind of warm weather you will need new tires. it takes very cold air to keep a tire flat spoted after any driving at all. i'm talking like 60 below type of cold. you have belts separated in the tires.
pick up some trailer tires, not car tires for maximum life.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies