2000 Grand Caravan starting problems

Old 10-31-08, 09:29 PM
2000 Grand Caravan starting problems

My 2000 GC sometimes will not start. The lights on the dash come on and when you turn the key they dim and nothing happens. I have had the battery tested (said it is okay) and cleaned connections. I don't want to change starter (approx $120) if it is not the problem. I have read some sights that said it may be some relays worn out, don't know if that would be correct. I am going to have started tested also.

It seems there are several possibilites and want to verify them all before I start buying parts.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-08, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When the connections were cleaned, probably only the cable connections at the battery were cleaned. Disconnect the positive cable at the battery and then remove and clean the other end. It is usually attached at the starter solenoid. Do the same for the ground connection. Reconnect the positive at the battery and see if that helps. Often crud and corrosion will allow lower amperage demands such as lights to pass through, but when a heavy load like a starter wants power, the crud acts as an insulator and wont let the current through.