Ford F150 Heater not blowing cold

Old 11-20-08, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ford F150 Heater not blowing cold

My dad has an older Ford F-150 (not sure on the year but it's mid to late 90's) who's heater is not blowing hot. The unit does blow air but it is not hot in the least. Can anyone give any ideas on what to check and what part may have gone bad? If possible, can you give the possible location of the part so that we can know where to look?

Sorry for the vagueness but I know very little in regards to auto heating/cooling systems.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 08:14 PM
first is it full of coolant? low coolant levels will keep most vehicles from blowing hot air, second the air blend door may be not working properly, you would need to check the hoses for warm water flow to make sure that the hot water is flowing properly. feel each hose to see if both are getting hot. if not look for any thing resembling a valve in line that might shut off the water flow. some vehicles have temp control valves to prevent water flow through the heater core during the run of the ac. if hot water is flowing through the heater core then you will need to access the under dash area to see if the heater blend door is operating properly. it is usually vacuum operated. check to make sure that no vacuum lines are broken. check out these things and let us know what you find.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 11-21-08, 11:39 AM
Smile no heat

Most Ford trucks hav a valve in the supply line(hot water) from the pump that stops the flow of hot water when in the off position and supplies it when in the open position. This little valve is usually the first thing to give trouble in heating. I can be either manually or vacuum controlled. Look under the hood and find the hose that is warm/hot with the engine warmed up. Move the valve manually and see if that helps. This is, of course, presuming that it has, as speedwrench said, sufficient water/coolant and is circulaltion as it should. Lack of a thermostat, or a stuck open stat, will cause the engine to run cold and produce no hot water.

Old 11-21-08, 03:15 PM
It it has an engine temperature gauge, what does it read?

Old 11-23-08, 10:01 AM
No Heat

I also have the problem of NO Heat. I investigated this under the dash. I too am having a problem trying to figure it out. My hot water heater hoses are flowing so I checked the vent damper motor. When I removed it small black plastic splin broken in many pieces fell out. Is this black splin replacable or do I need a new damper? Also checked out the vent damper motor and it was working.

Old 11-29-08, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Turned out he was low on coolant!