2002 Tundra, New Batt, now dies at idle?

Old 12-13-08, 03:58 PM
2002 Tundra, New Batt, now dies at idle?

I installed a new battery in my 2002 tundra with V8 today and now it idles low and eventually dies after a few seconds. I can rev the engine to keep it going but thatís it. It ran fine since 2002 until yesterday. What could be the cause???

Here is what I didÖ. Pulled out the old battery. Used a wire brush to clean the corroded terminals/screws. I also used a mixture of vinegar and salt solution to clean off the terminals / screws / clamps and rinsed with water. Put the new battery in and a few hours later I went to start it up for a trip to the store. Now it idles low and consistently dies.

I put the old battery in and have the same problem. I used some sand paper to clean off the inside of the battery screws/clamps to ensure they make good contact with the lead terminal.

I guess thereís a chance it may not be related to the battery change but the timing is ironic. If itís not related to the battery what other possibilities could there be?

Vehicle History: I am the original owner of a 2002 tundra with 86K. No major problems with the truck and regularly maintained by me or the dealer.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-08, 05:59 PM
disconnecting the battery could have erased the keep alive memory and it may have to relearn idle and other stragities(sp). you may have to start the truck and keep it running by using the throttle and it may catch up with it-self or you can probably just drive it on the hi-way for 10-15 min.

Old 12-13-08, 08:07 PM
I was coming up with the same conclusion and it appears this is the solution. It's not dying at idle anymore.

Earlier I drove the truck around the neighborhood and it died at each stop sign. I tried it again after your post and it repeated the same symptoms. When I got home I let it idle in the drive way and I could see the RPMs self adjust. Starting around 250ish and then it worked it's way up to 600ish over about 2 minutes.

I then went back out for a quick test drive and it didn't die again. It appears to be "normal" again.

Thanks for the Help.