1995 Dodge Ram no start

Old 12-16-08, 10:34 AM
1995 Dodge Ram no start

My dad has a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318. For the last 2 years now when the temp falls below freezing, or when the air is heavy & moist (such as fog at night) the engine will not start. Most of the time is does sound like it wants to, but wont. Almost catches at times when starting fluid is sprayed down the carb throat (yes it is MPI, but I cant think of the right word). Ideas on where to start?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I may be way off, but I'd look at condensation in the distributer cap. Or maybe new wires or coil (does it have a coil...hmmm...yeah, my 98 Dakota w/the same engine did). Sounds like the spark isn't hot enuf somehow...as I said...could be way off.

btw...I think its a "throttle body"

Old 12-16-08, 02:36 PM
this is one time when i will recommend wd-40, open the distributor cap and spray the inside of the cap with wd-40, then also spray down the wires and spark plug boots then try to start it.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 12-16-08, 06:19 PM
Ram wont start

[QUOTE=Speedwrench;1483443]this is one time when i will recommend wd-40, open the distributor cap and spray the inside of the cap with wd-40, then also spray down the wires and spark plug boots then try to start it.

Then replace the above mentioned items and while they are new spray them with a water proof spray. Chrysler has had problems with moisture and dist caps from the begining of time. RW

Old 12-17-08, 10:01 PM
My first thought is:
If your plug wires are old and cracked, you may have spark jumping from the wire to the engine block, and never reaching the spark plugs. Replace the plug wires in this case.

Another item it COULD be is the Pickup-Coil.

While it's not a permanent fix, try this before buying a pickup coil, or replacing wires:

Using simple rubbing alcohol, wipe down the inside of the distributor cap (with a lint free rag/cloth).
If you see black marks on the little metal contacts, scrape them off with a screwdriver or other tool.

Examine the rotor too. If it has corrosion or other deposits, clean it off too.

Then (Using a lint free rag/cloth) rub down the plug wires with the same rubbing alcohol.

IF there is a condensation/water issue this will clear it up VERY temporarily. Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will absorb and evaporate water.

If your vehicle runs fine after this, then you have a Cap/Wire issue. (The problem will return quickly in damp/rainy conditions)

If not, then you MAY have the above mentioned Wire or Pickup-Coil issues.

I hope something I've offered is of help, and I'll now defer to others who may be able to elaborate if needed, or provide a solution if I'm completely wrong.

Hope it helps..

Aces.