89 F250 5.8 OIL pressure gauge

Old 01-02-09, 12:55 PM
89 F250 5.8 OIL pressure gauge

When the truck idles in park or nuetral pressure gauge holds steady but when it idles in drive the needle is unsteady and bounces near the lower end of the gauge it stays within the "normal " area but why only in drive?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 07:51 PM
idle speed is lower in drive. try a different brand of oil filter, are you using phram oil filters? most likely the oil pressure is just pretty low already and when in gear it lowers it just enough to make the pressure fluctuate.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 01-06-09, 05:16 PM
thanks for the input speedwrench I do use fram oil filters are you saying not to use them ? What else can I do to bring up oil pressure or is that ok as long as it doesn't go below the "normal" level? what oil should I be using also?

Old 01-06-09, 08:01 PM
in my experience fram oil filters are almost too restrictive, thus causing low oil pressure on a system that might be marginal. personaly i like either mobil 1 or valvoline oil and i use factory oil filters. use the viscosity that is specified in your owners manual and for most people the oil changes listed for severe driving. the only thing you can do to bring up oil pressure with out a engine overhaul/ or replacing the oil pump is a less restrictive oil filter and higher viscosity oil.

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Old 01-07-09, 10:06 AM
thanks again speedwrench for the info i don't have a owners manual and I can't seem to find anything that list what oil type. So any suggestions would great .

Old 01-23-09, 07:07 AM
oil pressure

Possible tired sending unit