F250 coil ?

Old 01-13-09, 01:11 PM
F250 coil ?

Plugged into the bottom of the coil is a plug with 3 wires coming out one of the wires goes to a small cylindrical shaped device about the size of a 1/2" socket with only the one wire connecting it to the plug at bottom of coil what is this? I found it stuck by the wire that had become exposed to the bracket that holds the coil. It had welded it self there. So I'm wondering what it is and how does it effect my ignition system?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-09, 01:14 PM
That is a capicitor, it is there to try to suppress ignition noise on the radio, truck should run fine without it but there might be some clicking or popping in the radio.

Old 01-13-09, 01:34 PM
Thanks wire twister I'm back to the drawing board. Electrical is tuff stuff when you are just learning a truck. Maybe you have some thoughts on where to start my truck died while driving and except for some, but not every try, unsuccessful turning of the engine it won't fire up. It seems like the power from the battery to the starter is not all there. So I replaced the starter syliniod but the juice just don,t seem to be there even when trying to jumpstart it

Old 01-13-09, 06:29 PM
Have battery tested, clean and tighten all cable connections. Your truck may have a selonoid on the starter as well as on the inner fender, if so you may need to replace it as well. The wire on the capicitor shorting to metal would account for the engine dying.

Old 01-14-09, 11:44 AM
Thanks again wire twister. I pulled the starter last night after trying, unsuccessful, with a different battery. I will have it tested on the way home and purchase whats needed for the starter if thats the case. As for the capacitor I clipped the wire and butt connected it so no wire was exposed. Will this effect my trucks ignition since it shorting out may have caused the truck to die?

Old 01-14-09, 03:29 PM
Should not affect the ignition system, as long as you have covered the bare wire.

Old 01-19-09, 11:01 AM
I had the starter checked and it was bad. New starter cranks strong even with the battery running low. I found that another wire from the distributor had broken inside but the protective sheathing was still intact and only appeared to be a little stretched. I got lucky finding that one but the truck runs. Thanks for the info wire twister.