Trailer Wiring

Old 02-19-09, 10:53 AM
Trailer Wiring

Having trouble with wiring on my trailer.Checked wiring on truck with test light and hooked up wiring on trailer the same,right signal to right wire and left to left ,tail to tail ect .When I plug into harness and turn truck lights on I get tail lights on trailer rt and lt signals both work ,When I turn lights off on truck I lose signal lights on trailer,Brake lights do not work on trailer at all.I have ground wire coming off of truck harness to trailer harness then grounded to trailer Theirs 2 wires coming from each light I'm guessing 1 is signal the other is tail lights .Lights are grounded directly to trailer, Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong???:

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 01:04 PM
might check this link for help Trailer Wiring Diagram For 4 Way, 5 Way, 6 Way and 7 Way circuits
the signal/brake light when the signal is not being used it functions as a brake light. would check your vehicle to see if you are getting power back to the connector when you press on the brakes.

Old 02-19-09, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the ground connections in the truck and on the trailer. Remove the holding screws or bolt on each and clean the connectors and terminals until you have bright metal. Re assemble and test. Most of these problems relate to a poor connection.

Old 02-20-09, 09:47 PM
Have tried everything ,even ran a ground to lights from truck,can't figger the prob out but got a question .Could it be the lights I bought.Can you buy lights that are just tail lights and not stop lights ?? I know it seems like a dumb question but I don't know what else it could be.When I bought them all they said was tail lights on the box and they were about half the price of other lights so I went for the deal.They are from a surplus store but are new and like I stated befor I have tail and signal lights on trailer but only when lights on truck are turned on and when I hit the brakes I lose all lights on trailer

Old 02-21-09, 10:34 AM
im sure you might be able to get lights that just function as one thing the easy way to check would be to look at the bulb if its a dual filament bulb it should perform both functions go ahead and look at the socket also while your there to make sure it has the right bulb in it but if its a single filament bulb you shouldnt have turn signals either as the tail light would have to go out to even flash and tailights should stay on constant.
if you have two wires coming from each light wich most due one is meant for the turn/brake and the other is for tail and is usually ground through the mounting bracket if its a single filament bulb setup with 2 wires one wire would have to be a ground wich suppose it might get a good enough ground to light through the brake circuit until you applied the brake.
is this a 4 wire system and what is the tow vehicle have you tried another vehicle.

Old 02-21-09, 12:44 PM
if the wires coming from the light you purchased are black and white then you got only tail lights, if one has brown and yellow and one has brown and green then they are combo tail, turn and brake lights.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies