Transmission problem in 1986 Ford Econoline F150

Old 02-19-09, 03:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission problem in 1986 Ford Econoline F150

HI

I have a 1986 Ford Econoline F150 Van that won't shift out of 1st gear. I've been told by the pre-owner of the vehicle that he had it fixed before and that the mechanic reached underneath the hood, to fix it. He said there was an adjustment linkage under the hood. Is there an adjustment for the transmission there, if yes, where exactly is it located?

Any helpful answer is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 03:48 PM
L
I think what you may be looking for is the " detent cable adjustment" witch should be located on the right side [as your looking at the engine] of the carburator . However I must advise that this is a very important transmission adjustment and unless you are very familiar with how this is done, you should have a qualified tech. do this for you.

Good luck and have a great day

Old 02-19-09, 04:21 PM
M
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
See if the information is on this Autozone guide:

AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

Old 02-19-09, 05:06 PM
J
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by liljman View Post
I think what you may be looking for is the " detent cable adjustment" witch should be located on the right side [as your looking at the engine] of the carburator . However I must advise that this is a very important transmission adjustment and unless you are very familiar with how this is done, you should have a qualified tech. do this for you.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Your the first one that has said the thing does exist. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, and check out if there is any sign of movement on it.
Thanks again.
By the way my brother lives in Lady Lake.

Old 02-20-09, 02:02 PM
L
Here ya go

Throttle valve (TV cable) (AOD transmission) - adjustment

1 The Throttle Valve (TV) cable and linkage controls transmission line pressure, shift points, shift feel, part throttle downshifts and detent downshifts. If the TV linkage is broken, sticky or misadjusted, the vehicle will experience a number of problems such as early and/or soft upshifts and no downshift or a harsh downshift function.

2 The engine should not be running and the shift lever must be in Neutral during this adjustment.

3 Remove the air cleaner assembly and inlet tube for access to the TV cable at the throttle lever.

4 Pry the grooved pin on the cable assembly out of the grommet on the throttle body lever with a wide bladed screwdriver.

5 Push the white locking tab out with a small screwdriver.

6 Make sure the plastic block with the pin and tab slides freely on the notched rod. If it doesn't, the white tab may not be pushed out far enough.

7 Hold the throttle lever firmly against the idle stop and push the grooved pin into the grommet on the throttle lever as far as it will go. Don't move the throttle lever away from the idle stop during this procedure.